Hi all,
It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Insight at Mitra
Jyothi in Bangalore on June 27 which is Helen Keller's birth
anniversary.
i am sharing a mail sent by Mitra Jyothi about the events of the day
and the release of the magazine.
As mentioned in previous posts, the first copy of the magazine will be
mailed to all who want it free of charge. subsequent editions will be
available at a small annual subscription fee, details of which will be
mentioned in the magazine itself.
we request persons interested to please share your postal addresses with us at:
insighthyd.edi...@gmail.com
the books will be printed in a phased manner and will begin in the
next few days. soon after, all who have shared addresses will begin
receiving their first copies. we will let you know on these groups of
that as well.
we hope to hear from you.
now for the details from Mitra Jyothi:

It is my pleasure to inform you that the first issue of “Insight”, our
English magazine in Braille was released on 27th June as part of the
Helen Keller Day celebrations at Mitra Jyothi, Bangalore.

As you are aware each year Mitra Jyothi celebrates Helen Keller day.
This year we celebrated with two significant activities working
together with the UDIS Forum, Coimbatore and CBM, Bangalore. Firstly a
group of neo-literate women with visual impairment were trained to use
Smart Canes and each of them were gifted one. The beneficiaries were
all from rural Karnataka.

UDIS Forum is a network of parents, persons with disabilities,
professionals, and voluntary organizations for facilitating employment
and empowerment of persons with disabilities. The main objective of
the Forum is to identify jobs for persons with disabilities and also
organize training leading to their employment.

CBM is an International Christian Development organization working for
people with disabilities worldwide. CBMs vision is of an inclusive
world in which all persons with disabilities enjoy their human rights
and achieve their full potential. CBM India Trust established in 1994
promotes quality health care for people with disabilities and those at
risk of disability.

The first half of the day was dedicated to training while the second
half had the valedictory function with distribution of Smartcanes to
beneficiaries followed by the release of “Insight”. Our Chief Guest
Dr.Harini Nagendra released the magazine.

Dr. Harini Nagendra is a Professor and Research Scholar at School of
Development, Azim Premji University and she is also the Asia Research
Coordinator, Study of Institutions, Population, and Environmental
Change at Indiana University. Dr.Harini has published many articles
and research papers on her favorite subject ‘Urban Ecology’. Just a
few weeks back Dr. Harini’s book “Nature in the City, Bengaluru in the
Past, Present and Future” was released.

Professor Sreenivasan, Trustee UDIS Forum, was the first recipient of
Insight, he read aloud a few lines from Insight to the audience. We
also presented Insight to Mr. Shiva Mohan Rao, Programme Officer, CBM.
He was the second recipient of the Magazine. Our very own Ms.Madhu
Singhal very appropriately read aloud the write up on Helen Keller
from Insight.

Thank you very much for being the brain behind Insight, for
conceptualizing it and bringing it to life working together with
Madhuji. We are very proud to have someone like you as the Author and
Editor of Insight. The whole celebration would have been a notch
higher and more meaningful if you could have been with us personally
on the wonderful occasion.

We have posted updates of this event on our Facebook page at

https://www.facebook.com/mitra.jyothi

With Warm Regards

Uma

Uma Krishnamurthy

9731457012

COO, Mitra Jyothi

CA Site No P22, 31st Main,
18th Cross, Sector 1, HSR Layout,
Behind (NIFT) National Institute of Fashion Technology,
Bangalore-560102
Phone:.080-22587624 /23 /25
web site:  <http://www.mitrajyothi.org/> http://www.mitrajyothi.org/

“We are Accredited by Credibility Alliance under Desirable Norms”

 <http://www.mitrajyothi.org/>