Hi all,

Has anyone here installed the Juggernaut app? This app offers books in
serialised clips. It sounds like a good way to read when one is cramped for
time. Also, they predominantly feature Indian authors, whose books are
otherwise hard to find in accessible formats.

It would be interesting to know if this app is fully accessible with
Voiceover and other mobile screen readers.

Below is an article about this new publishing venture.

Geetha

Chiki Sarkar on her experiments in publishing

'One of the things I've obsessed about as a publisher is how I can be
relevant.'

A short conversation with Chiki Sarkar, publisher, Juggernaut, on publishing
innovations.

On what's different
I always knew when we started Juggernaut that the fun was going to start
when we could do things I hadn't been able to do with physical books. If we
were going to win the game, you were going to want to use Juggernaut very
differently from the way you might use the Kindle or, indeed, a regular
bookstore, or read as you normally do.

But these are big words - and truth be told I didn't always know exactly how
we'd go about doing this. Three months after our launch, I know a little bit
more now.

On speed
Juggernaut moves fast. We brought out mini-bios of Jayalalithaa and Mamata
Banerjee on the elections results day in May, asked the Tamil writer Perumal
Murugan if we could publish his favourite short stories to celebrate the
Madras High Court judgement in his favour, translating it and putting it on
the app within two weeks of the judgement, and wrote off to Seagull Books,
Mahasweta Devi's publishers, asking if we could publish a short story of the
great writer the day after she died.

One of the things I've obsessed about as a publisher is how I can be
relevant. This is one way. But the reason I can do it is that we have the
channel, and we are editorially driven. So a good idea and its execution can
happen in perfect sync.

On reader behaviour
I always knew that one of the things that would most interest me at
Juggernaut was working with the data we had about what people were reading
and who were doing the reading. Our readers love short stories, even very
literary ones. Roberto Bolano's short story Clara is one of the bestselling
titles on our app for example. Reader responses to Murugan and Mahasweta
Devi were great.

So we know we can give people a wide variety of stuff if it's a good length.
Our understanding of who's reading our love, sex, romance list has already
helped us sharpen our strategy on it. And one of the things we do in our
editorial meetings is constantly respond to some of this stuff, changing our
minds about how to publish, and, indeed, what to publish. I love it though i
think I run the team ragged.

On making small things big
It's hard to make an event of a single story - but the form of Juggernuat
and the fact that we still work like a traditional publisher when it comes
to publication (working with the press, pushing for reviews, interviews,
creating a campaign on social media) means that we can do this in a way no
one else can. We'll push this more and more over the months, commissioning
short stories in ways that we might commission non-fiction, and talking
about them to the press in the way we might with a bigger book.

Alongside this, the fact that we think not just about the medium but also
the content means we can reinvent the bigger book into something else. So
we've just launched the mini-blockbuster - short, self-enclosed extracts of
our big books, released anytime between three weeks and six months before
the actual publication to sell on the app as a self-contained, standalone
mini-book. The books have different titles and jackets - the idea is to sell
it to you not as an excerpt but as a fully formed thing.

On a new form
We've started this week with Rajdeep Sardesai's brilliant book on indian
cricketers, Kanhaiya Kumar's searing memoirs about being a poor rural boy,
and his journey to Delhi and a sizzling and deliciously gossipy book about
Rekha - all of them available on our app. And we'll do this every month or
other month. We want to generate interest for the actual books, create our
first bank of known readers for them, and, most important, give readers
another way to get into a bigger book. We're also extending the idea of
creating the mini-book in other ways, including working with third parties.

The real-time book, the event short story and the mini-blockbuster - three
little "inventions" in our first three months. I want to do lots more and
we're going to need to constantly experiment before we know we truly are and
what we can do. That's when the game starts getting really interesting.