By Madhulika Liddle
http://www.newindianexpress.com/lifestyle/books/Paradox-of-perception-between-Sight-and-insight/2016/08/27/article3596974.ece
In a small, insignificant incident in Joginder Paul’s novel Blind, the
inhabitants of a home for the blind hear a piece of news. A man
convicted of murder has been hanged, and his eyes are being donated.
One person among them may receive the gift of sight. Is there chaotic
clamouring for that precious pair of eyes? Do the blind fight to be
the lucky ones?

 No, because these are the eyes of a man who has been hanged. Not
because he was a criminal (in a sad twist of fate, it is
discovered—after his execution—that he was innocent) but because the
blind, in the wisdom, and paradoxically, the naïvete born of years of
blindness, know that eyes can hang a man. Sight can be the death of a
man, it can bring ruin.

Blind (a translation of the original Urdu title, Nadeed) is loosely
woven into a plot. A home for the blind, run by a benevolent, fatherly
blind man named Baba. A place where the blind, like the canny Bhola,
the basket-weaver Sharfu, his beloved and beautiful Roni (who has also
been Baba’s beloved, and is one brief tryst, of Bhola), live in their
own not-quite-cocooned world.

From being the story of Sharfu, Roni and Bhola, this becomes the story
of Baba, who suddenly regains his eyesight. Unwilling to tell his
‘children’ that he is now different from them, Baba hides the truth.

But Baba can see, and what he sees sends his life into a mad whirl of
corruption and deceit. “I roam around with open eyes in my blind home,
and steal all their secrets without them knowing it,” he says. He sees
the mild pilfering that goes on, the way one blind person steals from
another, cheats another. Beyond that, he sees the ugliness of the
world. This is not a case of innocence gone sour; Baba is not an
innocent, but it is a reinforcement of several interrelated themes
that dominate this book—the difference between seeing and looking;
between sight and insight; between vision and vision—in its literal
and metaphorical senses.

This is an abstract, metaphysical story, not an easy book to grasp if
you’re looking only at the obvious—which, of course, is ironically
enough a message of the story. It is thought-provoking, at times
elusive, paradoxical. An interesting and unusual book, and one that is
symbolic of so much: of modern society itself, of the loss of values
and morals that mark this world of ours. Of how we have all, to some
extent or the other, become blind to what goes on around us, and have
built up our own perceptions of what we would like the world to be.

“Is the eye of the mind better or that of the body?” a character asks
another. A pertinent question, and one the author encourages us to
ponder upon

--
Avinash Shahi