Mariyappan Thangavelu lost a leg when he was just five years old. He
was playing outside his house when a bus of the state-owned transport
corporation hit him. The family is still fighting a case in court.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/other-sports/thangavelu-fought-poverty-disability-to-leap-to-gold-at-rio-paralympics/story-yzR5qopjj6x9rPnLsHLZTJ.html
But that did not stop Mariyappan, now 21 years old. He scripted
history on Friday by bagging the gold medal in the men’s T42 high jump
 on the second day of the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Mariyappan hails from Periyavadagampatti village in Salem district of
Tamil Nadu, some 340km from Chennai. His mother, Saroja, sells
vegetables on a cycle and works as a casual labourer. The father
abandoned the family more than a decade ago.

But with his mother’s support, Mariyappan honed his skills and won
many medals at school and college levels. Last year, he completed his
degree in business administration and has been trying for a regular
job. He has yet to get one.

Mariyappan’s coach, Satyaranayana of Bangalore, trained him for the
Games and made him dream big.

“We were watching live, the event. At precisely 2.52am, my brother
leapt to a gold medal. And for a minute it seemed as if it was a
dream, but no it was for real.

“My brother was standing on the podium with the medal...we always were
confident he would win a medal. And his coach was sure that he would
get a gold,” said Kumar, Mariyappan’s younger brother.

The family burst crackers and distributed sweets as villagers came
calling to their one-room house -- for which they have to pay Rs 500
per month.

“I sincerely thank each and every one who is supporting my boy,” said
Saroja, the mother of four children who earns Rs 150 to Rs 200 on a
good day.

“We hope that Mariyappan’s achievement is recognised by the government
and he gets a job that will help the family as well,” Kumar said.

Periya Karuppan, the district sports officer, congratulated Mariyappan
and his coach Satyanarayana on the phone in the morning. Karuppan said
he will do everything to help him.

--
Avinash Shahi