http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/jail-inmates-to-record-audio-books-for-visually-impaired/1/778991.html
Ahmedabad, Oct 3 (PTI) An audio book recording centre was inaugurated
today inside the Sabarmati Central Jail here wherein inmates having
good voice will lend it to record various audio books to be used by
visually impaired people across the world.

The recording centre, having six studios, has been established in
Gandhi Yard, where Mahatma Gandhi was lodged for a long time during
Independence struggle, Gujarat DGP P P Pandey said.

According to him, this centre is perhaps the first in the world
wherein prisoners are roped in to record books for the visually
impaired.

Ads by ZINC

This centre has been established inside the jail with the support of
city-based Blind Peoples Association (BPA).

"Prisoners having a good voice and command over Gujarati, Hindi and
English languages will be roped into record books. We have set up six
different studios inside the Gandhi yard to carry out the work,"
Pandey said after inauguration of the centre.

Jail authorities and BPA have identified 13 prisoners having good
voice quality to record books. They will read books given to them by
BPA and record the entire book in audio format, Jail Superintendent
Sunil Joshi said.

"In the first phase, 13 prisoners have been selected after scrutiny.
We will carry out tests in future to induct more such prisoners. BPA
will give them honorary compensation for the services they render," he
said.

On the occasion, Executive Secretary of BPA, Bhushan Punani said the
audio books will be distributed among the visually impaired in the
form of CDs as well as through Internet.

According to Punani, such audio books serve as the alternative for
Braille books, which are "very bulky".

"In 2011, Narendra Modi (when he was state CM) floated the idea of
involving prisoners in recoding audio books for blind students. Today,
we have realised his dream. Audio books prepared here will help
numerous visually impaired citizens of Gujarat and India," said
Punani.

"We will also upload it on Internet, so that people sitting anywhere
in the world can access it. We will pay Rs 100 to each inmate for
recording one book, which takes around a weeks time. Apart from novels
and motivational books, we will also prepare audio files of
educational books for students," he added. PTI PJT PD DK DIP RYS

--
Avinash Shahi