The students of C Achutha Menon College, Thrissur, are upbeat that
some of their innovative ideas can probably be a path-breaker in the
world of the visually impaired. Through its National Award winning NSS
wing, the college will now help build communities that help the
visually challenged read books, travel with ease and write exams,
better! Here's how!
.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kochi/Students-show-the-way-to-light-up-lives-of-the-visually-challenged/articleshow/54677589.cms
.
 "We have set up a voice bank, companion bank and scribe bank, which
has service-minded students as members. While some of them are from
our college, there are students from outside colleges too," says Sijo
Varghese, a faculty. And how do they help?

 The voice bank consists of students who read and record books and
newspapers, so that the visually challenged can listen to them. Sisira
Sivan, a student, says, "Such voice books are available in English but
there are not many in Malayalam. So, we read them and through phones,
record the books, save them in CDs and send them to the Kerala
Federation of the Blind. They upload it on their website, which are
accessed by many from the State." Interestingly, they have already
recorded five books. "The stories of M Mukundan, Perumbadavam
Sreedharan, Zachariya, ONV and a few poems of Kadammanitta are the
ones we have recorded so far," she says.

.

.
 The students have also formed a whatsapp group named Dyuthi to help
the visually challenged. "It's a group in which only voice messages
are allowed, as the visually challenged are also part of it, alongside
us. We often send them recorded news and other important reads on this
forum. There are also those who introduce new English words, tidbits
of general knowledge, et al," says Dilna K R, a student.
Interestingly, many students from other colleges have also become part
of the group, as of now.
.

.
 Times are such that the visually challenged can write most of the
exams, with scribes. "However, it's not easy to find scribes that suit
all the qualifications as per the rules and also have time to spend.
Scribe bank is an initiative to help the visually challenged, write
exams easily," says Shabana Yasmin, a student. The college has already
intimated other colleges in the area on the initiative, and collected
info on those students who want to help. "If things go well, we will
start it in other districts too," says Sijo. While most scribes charge
to write exam, members of the scribe bank won't collect any money.

.

.
 Companion bank, which is an initiative to find companions for the
visually challenged for trips, is in its initial stages. "As of now,
we have gathered details of people who are willing to serve. It will
start functioning as soon as the requests start coming in," says Sijo.
The students see this as the pre-runner to a bigger cause. "Our dream
is to expand these banks to create an impact, beyond the walls of our
college. Considering the reception we've been experiencing, it's no
distant dream," they say in unison.
.

--
Avinash Shahi