Can I have his phone number please? Does anyone on the list know him?
Visually-challenged English professor’s seventh book is ready for release
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/the-scholar-who-refuses-to-be-lost-in-translation/article9263523.ece
His quest for knowledge enabled him to overcome his physical
disability. Proficient in Malayalam, Tamil and English and a doctorate
in English literature — a comparative study of short stories of Alice
Munro and Tamil writer Ambai — S. Suresh Kumar, a visually-challenged
professor of English literature, does not like to rest even at 65.

His seventh book — a translation of selected poems of Kumari Athavan —
is ready for release on October 27 even as he is giving final touches
to the translation of Andal’s Tiruppavai .

“Women, differently-abled people and translations — these have always
been relegated to the bottom of society or painted into a corner. Only
through sheer effort did they come centre stage. Naturally I see a
parallel in them,” said Mr. Suresh Kumar, who lost his eye sight due
to retinal degeneration when he was a child, while explaining his
passion for translation.

A native of Manalikarai in Kanniyakumari district, he spared no effort
in his pursuit of studies. When he was ready to sit for the SSLC
examination at the age of 14 (the then local rule allowed only those
who had completed 20 to appear for the examination), he took the exam
in Hyderabad. “I cleared my Higher Secondary Examinations and later
joined English literature in University College in Thiruvananthapuram.
As no Braille text books were available for old English prescribed for
MA, I joined Nagpur University where I could opt for Indian writing in
English,” said Mr. Suresh Kumar, who retired as Reader and Head of
English Department of Pioneer Kumaraswamy College in Nagercoil.

It was while translating from Malayalam to English Jnanappana by
Poonthanam Nampoothiri, a 16th century poet, known as Kerala’s cuckoo,
that he got interested in Tiruppavai . “When I visited
Srivilliputhoor, the birth place of Andal, a year ago, I decided to
translate her work,” said the retired professor, who collaborated with
S. Nagammal, his former colleague, for the two soon-to-be-released
translations.

Though his family’s financial background never allowed him feel the
isolation usually faced by differently-abled people, Mr. Suresh Kumar
said the attitude of participants in national and international
conferences on literature was somewhat negative: “They feel that we
have a limited vision and do not have access to materials that keep
one abreast of modern trend.”

He has his own prescription for translation. “It is not copying the
whole text word by word, but assimilating the original work and
recreating its spirit. It is akin to co-authoring the original text,”
he said, adding that the existing English translations of Tiruppavai
do not do the needful.

He also pointed out that many translators had resorted to expurgation
while referring to body parts of women.

--
Avinash Shahi