Dear Vikas sir, There are many reports published in various Indian
dalies on the term 'divyang' where activists have spoken in support
and opposed the nomenclature. But my Op-Ed which was published by the
Tribune was one of the first serious attempt which complicated the
ramification of the term. Then the debate on the issue became more
substantial.  My write-up: "Deifying people with disabilities a cruel
joke" which appeared on 11 January 2016 was well-received
internationally. In fact one of the Joint Sec in the DEPWD during that
period acknowledged the powerful disection but expressed his inability
to do away with the term cause the political establishment was
hellbent in imposing  the term at any cost. But what we have been able
to achieve that 'divyang' will be used as suffix in brackets.IE
Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan). My opinion piece delves about
the legal ramification and posits not to legalise the term which would
bring shame to India which is a party to the UNCRPD at the
international fora. You could read if not to recommend. Smiles. If you
recommend this, you will have to take permission from the Tribune
publishers. This piece was shared more than 550 times on FB and and on
twitter. And the Tribune gave me an honorarium of Rs 3000 for this
Op-Ed.
The URL and the piece is pasted below
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/deifying-people-with-disabilities-a-cruel-joke/181902.html
India is a signatory to the UN Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities
In India, the people with disabilities are addressed by many
denominations interchangeably.  Since the mid-1980s, patronising terms
such as “differently abled” and “specially abled” have been quite
common in public parlance. Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in
his last Mann ki Baat, broadcast on December 27, 2015,  appealed to
the public to adopt the use of the term “divyang” (divine body) to
address  persons with disabilities. This well-intentioned  appeal by
the Prime Minister, through the state-run All India Radio, to call
people with disabilities as “divyang” (divine bodies) could do great
damage to their dignity and identity.
 People with disabilities have long been enduring  the pain of not
being addressed as normal human beings as they think themselves to be.
Moreover, the term “divyang” is antithetical to the definition of
disability envisaged under the United Nations Convention on the Rights
of Persons with Disabilities, to which India is a signatory.
 The UNCRPD stipulates that disability occurs due to extraneous
factors such as physical, psychological and environmental barriers.
The Indian Government which ratified the treaty, is thus duty-bound
not to contravene the provisions of the UN treaty in the domestic
legislation and the public policy on disability. Persons with
disabilities have long been demanding from the State that they should
neither be pilloried as evil mortals nor be deified. They are as
human, with distinct physiological and psychological attributes, as
other non-disabled individuals in  society.
 However, too much obsession with the notion of “abelism” in the
public sphere has dashed the dream of the people with disabilities
from becoming equal citizens on a par with others. They are often
pitied and treated with charity. They are not respected as people
having Constitutional rights. The woes of the People with Disabilities
related to accessibility, education and employment are paid tangential
attention. The Central Government allocates meagre budgetary support
for their empowerment.  For instance, in the last Budget of 2014-15,
presented by the Finance Minister Arun Jaitely, it was paltry Rs 5,000
crore. Moreover, the state governments' indifference towards people
with disabilities is more shocking.
  Despite disability being one of the subjects in the state list under
the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution, several states are yet to
formulate a comprehensive policy on disability issues. The demand for
bringing  disability in the concurrent list is yet to be met. As a
result, the large number of people with disabilities residing in the
rural areas are compelled to live in inescapable penury. However, the
governments at the Centre and in the states remain negligent about
their pressing needs.The daily ordeal of the persons with disabilities
at the grassroot reveal their vulnerabilities which requires an urgent
attention from the government.
 Therefore, amidst harsh poverty faced by the disabled,  extolling
them as “divyang” is not less than a covert ploy to shield their
resilient character and struggle as human beings.
 Undoubtedly,  people with disabilities face daunting hurdles and
create innovative ways to overcome them. However, their struggle to
deal with the obstacles should not be glorified. People with
disabilities should not be construed as passive subjects. They are
agents of their own destiny. It is thus imperative for the Government
to take them on board before formalising any new terminology in the
disability legislation.
 The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPWD)
should seek responses from the disability sector on the term “divyang”
suggested by the Prime Minister. The view of the Prime Minister
reflects the mindset of a large section in the Indian society who are
judgmental about the capabilities  of the people with disabilities.
Instances abound, such preconceived  notions held by the political
class and the Indian bureaucracy have dealt irreparable damage to the
disabled people. Like any other non-disabled person, disabled people
want to earn respect by their deeds and live with dignity.
 Therefore, instead of patronising and glorifying them, the government
at the Centre and in the states need to create a conducive climate in
which they get a level playing field, at par with others. Until the
government does not undertake serious efforts to do away with the
stigma attached with disability, the hardships of the disabled would
continue to be accentuated. Merely a change in the nomenclature for
addressing the disabled people is inadequate.
 A much deeper engagement with the plight of the disabled people is
needed to bring about substantive transformation in their lives. A
large number of disabled people are striving for the bare minimum, and
they are still “divyang” for the Prime Minister. It's a cruel joke
with their lives. “What's in a name”, they wonder.
The writer is a doctoral candidate at the Centre for the Study of Law
and Governance, JNU

On 11/4/16, Vikas Gupta <vikas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All:
> I shall be glad to read on the subject on Divyang. Besides this, if
> received by tonight, and if agreed by the Editorial Board of
> Reconstructing Education for Emancipation, I would also recommend it
> for publication in this quarterly. It does not matter whether it is
> published or unpublished at this stage.
> Best
> Vikas
>

> --
> Vikas Gupta
> Assistant Professor, Department of History, Faculty of Social
> Sciences, Delhi University, Delhi 110007.
>

> Web: www.vikasinterventions.in
>
> Ph: +91-11-266659 (O.), +91-11-27662347 (R.) & +91-9818193875 (M.)
> Email: vikas...@gmail.com

Avinash Shahi