Source:

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/indore/Blind-beggar-stuck-with-Rs-98K-bounty-
in-demonetization-aftershocks/articleshow/55354095.cms

Blind beggar with Rs 98K hit by currency withdrawal in Dewas

Nov 10, 2016, 06.08PM IST TNN[ Salil Mekaad ]

INDORE: Centre's decision to withdraw Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes had an
unlikely victim in a blind beggar in Dewas district. The beggar had saved Rs
98,000 over last 20 years in high value currency notes and now finds himself
in a fix.

The matter came to light on Tuesday when the beggar Seetaram, a resident of
Siya village in Dewas district, reached gram panchayat office with the money
and sought help from officials. "Saheb, this is my life's saving. Now I am
told that this is all scrap," Seetaram told the janpad panchayat officers.

Siya gram panchayat secretary Ejaj Patel told TOI that Seetaram had saved
the money over a period of 20 years while begging on the streets of Siya
village.

"Since he could not keep the money safe, Seetaram had given portions of the
money to his acquaintances for safe keeping. After the Rs 500 and Rs 1000
currency notes were demonetized, his friends returned them cash claiming
that they cannot shoulder the responsibility," he said.

Seetaram had reached Siya village from Rajasthan around two decades ago with
his wife. Since he was blind, he did not find any job in the village. He
started begging at the main market and stayed in a shanti, Patel said.

The gram panchayat officials are not contemplating on helping Seetaram out
in exchanging the high value currency notes into either the new currency or
that of lower denomination.

The beggar does not have a bank account. "We are planning to get in touch
with the bank officials to seek a remedy. We may even help him open a bank
account and deposit the money in it," Patel said.

Shiv