The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / People : Music of the soul

Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Thursday, Nov 01, 2007

Music of the soul

Have you heard Ritvik Rajan singing on the Asianet reality show? It's
determination that has enabled his parents to help their special child realise
his
potential

HIS SONG IS SPECIAL Rohan and Ritvik Rajan

Asianet (the Malayalam TV Channel) telecasts a music reality show Idea Star
Singer 2007 on week days at 8.30 p.m. What one witnesses is a mix of reactions
from the participants - tears and laughter, the frustration of rejection and
the delight of qualifying in each round. And so, the search goes on for the
best singer who must be blessed with twin abilities - to sing and entertain the
audience.

The viewers and the judges listen with bated breath when the physically
challenged Ritvik Rajan sings. He can't see or speak. Neither does he know what
he has achieved. A conversation with his mother was an eye-opener. It made one
catch a glimpse of the singer's struggle against a virtually hopeless situation.

"My first son Rohan was born in 1979. Just as we were recovering from the
initial trauma of a special child being born into the family, Ritvik was born
in 1989. We expected that he would support his elder brother - and when we
realised that he too was visually challenged, it did not come as a shock, as
I had already experienced the worst."

One may come across kids with disabilities; but one seldom understands the
sheer exhaustion of living with one - and coping with his daily needs and
problems
relating to developmental delays, especially the visually challenged. Having
two such children can leave parents devastated.

Your children sing marvellously. Is this talent inherited?

Both my husband and I used to sing and our children are now fulfilling our
dreams.

A special child's parents have to protect him from life's dangers and yet
expose him to life's lessons endlessly. You have managed all this and raised two
children so splendidly. How do you cope?

We wanted our children to be well integrated into the mainstream. We had to
take the risk with Roshan. He was able to adapt to school easily, and we
overcame
our doubts. Moreover, Roshan had other strengths. Ritvik was less aware and
couldn't even communicate. His world was filled only with music; we could not
expose him to the outside environment.

How did you train your children in music?

Roshan practically grew up with a tape recorder. He started learning devotional
songs and mridangam from age three. Then along with regular schooling he
continued learning Carnatic music. He learnt to play the violin and passed a
junior exam in it. Later, while studying for his BA, he switched to Hindustani
classical music.

He has given many performances locally, in others states and abroad. He has
sung for a few audio cassettes and he is B* high artiste of AIR Dharwad. For
Ritvik, things were different. Till he was nine, his only communication with
the outside world was through music. He used to sing Hindi songs and Kannada
bhava geetha with ease even when he was only 5 or 6 years old. His first stage
performance was at 9 with his elder brother where they sang duets with Ritvik
in the female lead. After a hard search I found a teacher, Jayadevi Jangam
Shetty, to teach him Hindustani classical. Later, he learnt under Radha Desai
and started preparing for music exams. He learnt light music under Srikanth
Kulkarni. Subsequently he trained under Sreepad Hegde. He is preparing, at
present, for Madhyama II of Gandharva Maha Vidyala, Miraj. So far he has passed
his exams with distinction. He managed to pass 3 levels of tabla exam with
distinction and preliminary keyboard exam in 1st class, despite motor and
co-ordination problems.

What advice do you have for parents of such children?

Parents are solely responsible for their children. A special child demands more
attention and time. If you accept the child as your own, the battle is half
won. Then it is essential to work towards goals without expecting miracles.
Love is perhaps the most potent resource that any mother can have and use
effectively.

The Rajan brothers live in Bangalore and to know more about them and listen to
their music log on to
http://www.rajanbrothers.com

LEKSHMY RAJEEV