Date:18/11/2007 URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2007/11/18/stories/2007111857850400.htm

New Delhi

Auto, taxi drivers pledge their eyes

Bindu Shajan Perappadan

NEW DELHI: Not exactly the city dwellers' favourites, Delhi's taxi and
auto-rickshaw drivers seem to have their heart in the right place about this one
at least. In a collective show of solidarity to the cause of the disabled, a
group of taxi and auto drivers and their families have come forward to pledge
their eyes.

The group, which will pledge their eyes at a function in the Capital this
Sunday, is also associated with the "Abilities Mela -- Hum Kisi Se Kam Nahin"
that is scheduled to be held in Delhi next month. The mela is aimed at
promoting employment opportunities for physically and mentally challenged
persons.

>From this Sunday, this select group of auto-rickshaws drivers will also carry
>the slogan "Hum Kisi Se Kam Nahin" urging people to visit the mela and take
a look at the special abilities of the differently-abled people.

Taxi and Auto Sangharsh Samiti president Som Nath said on Saturday: "We are
very excited about this new project and are motivated to be part of it. Our
samiti has been involved in several humanitarian projects and we are proud of
the fact that drivers from the Capital have yet again enrolled themselves
in a unique and good project."

According to an organiser, the mela is a platform for demonstrating skills,
creativity and potential of the differently-abled persons. It is being supported
by the National Trust, an organisation mandated by the Ministry of Social
Justice and Empowerment for the welfare of persons with autism, cerebral palsy,
mental retardation and multiple disabilities, and the Blind Relief Association.