The fundemental diference between hibernation  and stand by mode is
that the former requires a bit of power and the later doesn't. When
you put your system in to hibernation  mode, it sleeps without closing
your programs and you can start working wherever you left before.
Technically it shouldn't harm the system. But I will be a bit careful
about the stand by mode particularly when I don't have enough of
back-up power. Also Vista systems are designed in such a way that when
you are running out of power, then the system automatically gets in to
hibernation.