I've read in a couple of news items that the new Rs.100 note is going to retain
its original size to avoid the recalibration of ATMs.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Blind Graduates' Forum of India (BGFI)
  To: a...@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in ; accessindia@accessindia.org.in
  Cc: bgf...@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:49 PM
  Subject: [AI] Congratulations! 2000 signatures on accessible Indian Currency
petition! and a worrying development

  Hi all,

  Congratulations! We have crossed 2000 signatures through our
  Accessible Indian Currency petition in less than 100 hours! This level
  of support definitely has contribution of many of you and much needed
  from each one of us. It is indeed an important milestone of achieving
  10% of our targeted 20,000 signatures. In fact you can track the
  number of signatures real time by clicking the below link. Worth
  saving it in your favorites / bookmark to keep following the score! If
  you haven’t still signed, why not right now by clicking the below
  link. All you need to do is read the page, enter your name, email id,
  and submit. You will receive an email from change.org and click on the
  link provided in the mail. Do remember to make it public while sharing
  on Facebook (in case you use Facebook).
  http://tinyurl.com/AccessibleCurrencyPetition

  There is a worrying development. A recent Economic Times article says
  that RBI is going to come up with new 100-rupee notes shortly. If they
  go as per their original plan, the size difference between 50 and 100
  and 200 will be just 2mm each. Factor 0.5mm error margin that they
  have defined and additional 1mm due to shrinkage of note as people
  keep folding the notes. Therefore, the size of these notes are going
  to be so similar that it will be practically impossible for a blind
  person to identify independently.
  It becomes more important for us to intensify our campaign now and
  spend lot more effort. It is time to involve your family members,
  colleagues, online groups, social work groups, etc. We will be sharing
  ready-made mails targeting different segments that you can keep
  forwarding to your network. Just forwarding is not effective. Reach
  out to your close ones in person and ask them to sign the petition,
  share on Facebook and further spread the word.

  In addition, we have just sent a comprehensive representation to RBI
  and Finance Ministry highlighting all our issues with accessing notes,
  coins, websites, mobile apps and ATMs. In addition, proposed specific
  solutions based upon the comprehensive national and international
  study that was done, including inputs from a few of you. The
  representation will have lot more value if the same is endorsed by
  many NGOs working for blind. That is when it will be seen as a problem
  faced by not just one group, but the whole country. So if you are an
  NGO and willing to take a lead, please share your email id and name of
  the organization on this mail or drop a mail to contact.b...@gmail.com
  We will share the representation with you within 3 days. All you would
  need to do is sign and send. Of course, feel free to improvise. Also
  do spread the word among persons with visual impairment connected with
  your NGO.

  Remember, it is our campaign and each one of us will have to lead it
  to hope for a solution.

  Thanks and regards,
  Vishal
  Blind Graduates Forum of India.

  On 10/2/17, Blind Graduates' Forum of India (BGFI)
  <contact.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
  > 3. The authorities by picking the twitter handles on the page if you
  > Wish. Ignore if you do not have a twitter account.
  > https://twitter.com/accessibleinr
  >
  > Please forward this to your contacts and ask them to share it further.
  > It will be good if you could get in touch with your close ones in
  > person to support in making Indian currency accessible for the blind.
  >
  > In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “In a gentle way, you can shake the world!”
  >

  > On 10/2/17, Blind Graduates' Forum of India (BGFI)
  > <contact.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
  >> Hi all,
  >>
  >> Glad to have all of us united on raising our voice for Accessible
  >> Indian Currency. The current new notes and coins and the probable new
  >> notes are going to be impractical for persons with impairment to
  >> identify. Indeed, we have a disaster in the making. It is too serious
  >> a matter for us not to work on this issue until we have a solution. So
  >> let us run together the biggest possible social media campaign and
  >> ensure our voice is heard and acted upon immediately!
  >> We have created an exclusive Accessible Indian Currency Facebook page,
  >> petition on change.org and a twitter handle. Let us target obtaining
  >> at least 20,000 signatures, hundreds of Facebook shares and twitter
  >> tweets. If each of us contribute with getting just fifteen people to
  >> join this campaign, we can do it! All you need to do is get at least 5
  >> relatives, 5 blind friends and 5 sighted friends to share the below
  >> Facebook page and sign the petition in the next one week. If each of
  >> us together do not spend 20 minutes every day for the next few days,
  >> we may have to live with inaccessible currency for the next ten odd
  >> years. It is a matter of our independence, livelihood, and dignity.
  >> Isn’t it?
  >>
  >> Here are the three simple steps you need to follow:
  >> 1.      Click on the below change.org petition and sign the petition by
  >> sharing your email id. Your message will immediately reach the
  >> authorities by email as soon as you sign the petition. Also post the
  >> petition on your Facebook profile and remember to make it public.
  >> http://tinyurl.com/AccessibleCurrencyPetition
  >>
  >> 2.      Click on the below Accessible Indian Currency Facebook page. Like
  >> the page to get future updates and coverage on this. If required you
  >> may share the petition on your Facebook account from here as well.
  >> http://tinyurl.com/AccessibleCurrencyFacebookPage
  >>
  >> 3.      Click on the twitter page and retweet. You may directly tweet to
  >> the authorities by picking the twitter handles on the page if you
  >> wish. Ignore if you do not have a twitter account.
  >> https://twitter.com/accessibleinr
  >>
  >> A smart approach could be to forward this to people who have different
  >> set of connections and ask them to share it further. Remember, people
  >> may not act unless you personally request and follow up with them.
  >>
  >> In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “In a gentle way, you can shake the

  The list has now migrated to www.accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in

  You should now post to the id: a...@accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in

sent through this mailing list..