From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Dinesh Kaushal
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:05 AM
To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled.'
Subject: Re: [AI] Deification of the disabled in the media

Thanks for starting conversation on an important topic.

The way media houses distort and push people around is well-known. I think that
Arnab Goswami would not have allowed Ashish to say what he might have wanted to
say.

It was evident from the way Arnab constantly kept saying that I want people to
get inspired. So he might have not allowed him to talk about role of assistive
technology. The reason that Arnab might have not allowed that description is
that the fact that technology could help people with blindness would not make
him look so super human.

Even then, I feel that we have missed a great opportunity to bring awareness
about how assistive technology could help millions. As Rahul said, This
instance highlights that we should not help in perpetuating these harmful
stereotypes. I also suggest that we need to be vigilant about our
responsibility of making people aware about how technology has made so many
things possible. Granted that it has become part of our lives so much that we
may not realize that for people who have no exposure to these technologies,
this could be the difference in making us look super human vs people using
specialized tool that anyone could learn.

For those who might want to be seen as amazing people, even though when we show
people how technology helps us to do regular stuff, people think we are so
inspirational!