*https://www.telegraphindia.com/calcutta/girl-beats-blindness-in-cbse-feat-233384#
<https://www.telegraphindia.com/calcutta/girl-beats-blindness-in-cbse-feat-233384#>*

*Kalikapur: *A Calcutta girl born without vision has passed the CBSE Class
XII examination in arts with an aggregate of 85.4 per cent in her first
attempt at writing a board test with assistive technology.

Rashmi Maruvada, 18, had studied till Class X at Patha Bhavan using
Braille, a universal system for the blind in which letters and numbers are
printed as raised dots so that these can be read by touching them.

For term and annual examinations, her mother would arrange a writer to take
down what she dictated. "In class tests, she would answer in Braille. A
person from the Society for the Visually Handicapped transcribed the answer
scripts. Her class work wasn't evaluated," recounted mother Annapurna.

At Apeejay School Park Street, Rashmi opted for humanities, but it was
technology that opened up a whole new world to her. She started using a
recorder as an alternative to taking notes and doing projects on a laptop
using software that enabled her to read and convey what she wanted without
depending on anyone.

According to Rashmi, the JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reader
program gave her freedom and confidence she hadn't experienced before.
"Assistive technological devices have made me more independent in writing
exams and completing assignments," she said.

The teenager's Class XII scores reflect her confidence: 90 in English, 88
in human rights and gender studies, 86 in psychology and sociology and 77
in legal studies.

"Be it searching the Internet for learning resources or reading documents
sent by teachers or friends, I now use JAWS. I need help only in
downloading pictures for projects because the screen reader does not read
images. I explain the kind of image I need to my mother and she searches
for them. She describes what she finds and, based on my feedback, downloads
the ones I needed," she said.

Rashmi was in her third day of school at Apeejay when she realised that one
of her teachers was speaking discernibly slow. She gently stopped the
teacher to say: "I can keep pace with the lecture. Please do not go slow
for me."

When she does miss making a mental note of something being taught in the
classroom, the recorder ensures that she gets a second chance to hear it.

"The CBSE system has provisions that enabled us to get permission for
Rashmi to use a computer to write the Class XII exam. She is a hugely
determined girl and I have seen her refusing help to walk up to the stage
during concerts in school," said Reeta Chatterjee, the principal of Apeejay
School Park Street.

Rashmi had undergone an unsuccessful cornea transplant when she was just a
year old. Since then, the only thing Annapurna has wanted for her daughter
is a normal life without her lack of sight coming in the way.

Annapurna, a special educator, decided early that her daughter would go to
a "mainstream" school rather than a special institute. "She did not want a
secluded or protected life for me and insisted that I go to a mainstream
school and be just like anyone else my age," Rashmi said. "When I am out
with my friends, they do not hold me by my hand. They only guide me, if
needed. I am planning to study outside Calcutta and am preparing myself for
that."

In 2010, Rashmi won an award from the National Innovation Foundation-India
for her concept of a computerised tricycle that can drive itself to a
pre-selected location.

Academics is not her only focus, though. Rashmi goes trekking, rafting and
kayaking. She has also done a course in mountaineering. "I enjoy doing
something outside my comfort zone that is also a new experience. It exposes
me to life's challenges and makes me feel no less than the other person,"
she said.