From: AccessIndia <accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in> On Behalf Of
Rishi Kewalramani
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:27 PM
To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
the disabled.' <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Subject: [AI] Please guide, Should I buy iPhone 8 plus or Blackberry Key2?

Hi friends,
Really need your help.
I need to make an important decision regarding my next smartphone.
So I really need all of your help for the same.
I'm confused and want to make sure that I take the correct decision.
since it is not a small investment, i want to make sure the hard earned
money  is well spent.

So I want your valuable inputs to help me to make a choice between
Blackberry Key2 or iPhone 8 plus.
Its oK if you all have  differing opinions on this, I think it will help me
to make an informed decision.

One of my relatives  is coming down from the U.S next month and I have to
tell him about my final decision so that he can go ahead and order the phone
so that it reaches him in time.

As some of you may be aware Blackberry has launched  its latest version
called Blackberry Key2, which is an upgrade from their last year's
blackberry Key1.
It will be available in the U.S by the end of this month and pre-orders have
started.

Blackberry key2 comes with the following specifications:
Processor: SnapDragon 660
RAM: 6GB
Storage: 128 GB
Dual SIM
Micro SD card slot to expand  to 256GB.
Price: $700

To see a youtube hands onn review of the blackberry key2, check out the
following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7Yovb6kpo

And the iPhone 8 plus, as you all know, comes with the A 11 bionic processor
with 3gb of RAM, and I'll go for the 64gb model.
Price: $799

The only reason why I'm thinking  about the Blackberry key2 is because of
its physical QWERTY keyboard. And the 52 short cuts that it offers on the
physical keyboard would make things really productive I think.
I still like tactile physical keyboards. Believe it or not, I still use my
old Nokia E5  for calls and sending sms and making notes because I'm so used
to the physical keyboard and I'm pretty fast on it while typing.

But my real confusion creeps in when I compare Android with talk back vs the
iOS with voice over.

I have never used an iPhone.

People say that iOS with voice over is more intuitive, can be used with much
more ease, the accessibility is better etc, and updates are better since
Apple controls both, the software and hardware.

My main purpose for having a good smartphone is for business use. For
productivity. Reading webpages on the go, reading, drafting and replying to
emails, reading and replying to whatsapp messages, using facebook and
twitter, making calls  etc.
So I'm looking for  a hastle free smooth experience. Productivity is key.

I'm not a geek and dont have the time to explore things, make changes &
tweeks  on my phone.

In my Moto X 2nd gen, which I got 4 years ago,  I'm experiencing  a lot of
lags with talk back. I do not know the reason for this, Is it because of an
old processor or the 2 GB RAM or no more Android or talk back updates, with
the Android version stuck to android 6 marshmallow and talk back stuck to
version 6 etc or a combination of all these factors. Its become very
sluggish and the experience is not smooth.

One of the questions that I'm thinking about is, do I go for the Android
environment with talk back  or the iOS environment with voice over But then
I really like the physical keyboard of the Blackberry key2..
And then  I wonder, what is the point of having a physical keyboard if
android with talk back is not as intuitive as iOS with voice over?

And then I became aware of this screen protector, the embossed speed dots
screen protector for iPhones.
https://www.speeddots.com/
So then I wonder Will this embossed screen protector  fulfill my need for a
tactile keyboard to some extent?

But then some say, android with talk back is  not bad. and then my mind
again likes to go for the blackberry key2 with that great physical keyboard
which has 52 short cuts to enhance our productivity.

So I'm confused with all these thoughts.

Friends, if you were me, which smartphone would you go for between these 2?
And why?
A great physical keyboard  or no physical keyboard?
Android or iOS?

I want the smartphone that I buy  to last me for the next 4 to 5 years at
least.
Having invested this amount, I dont want to think about it for the next 4
years at least.

So friends, please help me, because some of you have used both android and
iOS.
Should I go for Blackberry key2 or iPhone 8 plus?

As I mentioned, One of my relatives  is coming down from the U.S next month
and I have to tell him about my final decision so that he can go ahead and
order the phone so that it reaches him in time.
since it is not a small investment, i want to make sure the hard earned
money  is well spent.

Looking forward to many of your valuable inputs, Apologies to pass on this
confusion to you all, Many thanks in advance for your replies that I'm
really looking forward to, Sincere regards, Rishi.

sent through this mailing list..