Exciting research!
With warm regards
Solomon S
teachs...@gmail.com

Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Reprogrammable Braille
Researchers develop a framework to encode mechanical memory in a
featureless structure – an elastic shell
By Leah Burrows
|July 23, 2018
Dimples are formed on an inverted plastic fruit bowl by poking the
dimple location with a simple stylus, in much the same way that the
pages of a traditional Braille book are printed. (Image courtesy of L.
Mahadevan/Harvard SEAS)
When Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was translated into
Braille, it spanned 1,000 pages over 14 volumes of thick Braille
paper. Tolstoy’s War and Peace weighs in at 21 volumes. But what if
there was a way to store whole books in just a few pages of Braille?
Researchers at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and
Applied Sciences (SEAS) have developed a framework to encode memory,
in the form of Braille-like dimples and bumps, onto a blank,
lattice-free material.
“We show how an otherwise featureless curved elastic shell, when
loaded appropriately, can store elastic bits (e-bits) that can be
written and erased at will anywhere along the shell,” said L.
Mahadevan, the Lola England de Valpine Professor of Applied
Mathematics at SEAS, and Professor of Organismic and Evolutionary
Biology, and of Physics, and an Associate of the Wyss Institute, and
the Kavli Institute at Harvard University, and senior author of the
study. “This system could serve as the basis for small-scale
mechanical memories.”
The set-up is beguiling in its simplicity, said Mahadevan. First, the
thin elastic shell – shaped like a slightly curved ruler — is
compressed by a force on each end. Then, indents are made using a
simple stylus, in much the same way that the pages of a traditional
Braille book are printed. The shell will “remember” the indent when
the force is no longer applied and the indent can be erased by
stretching the shell back out.
“Simple experiments with cylindrical and spherical shells show that we
can control the number, location, and the temporal order of these
dimples which can be written and erased at will,” said Mahadevan.
This paper is a first step in showing that we can store memories. The
next step is to ask if we can actually compute with them.
Tweet This
The concept for the system was first envisioned by Mahadevan using a
simple inverted fruit bowl.
This is the first time that researchers have demonstrated mechanical
memory in a system with no inherent lattice. The approach is also
scale-independent, meaning it will work with one-atom-thick graphene
all the way up to paper.
“This paper is a first step in showing that we can store memories. The
next step is to ask if we can actually compute with them,” said
Mahadevan.
The research was co-authored by Jun Young Chung, Research Associate in
Applied Mathematics at SEAS and the Wyss Institute, and Professor
Ashkan Vaziri from Northeastern University, a former postdoctoral
fellow at SEAS. This work was supported in part by the National
Science Foundation.