Original Message ----- > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:44 AM> Subject: [bookshare-discuss]
Copyright and scanning a book for personnal use> > > I was intrigued when Jim
from Bookshare mentioned that blind individuals could crack an e-book so that
they can read it with a screen reader. I located a judgment from the librarian
of congress who passes out the exemptions for the Digital millennium copyright
law. And indeed a blind person can crack an e-book in order to be able to read
it with a screen reader.> But I was wondering where is the permission to scan a
book, so that you can read it with a screen reader, Kurzweil 1000 or a Book
Port? The Chaffee amendment allows an organization like Bookshare to scan and
distribute books for people with print disabilities. But where's the
legislation that protects users like you and me in terms of our making copies
of books and altering them into digital format for reading? Any information
would be greatly appreciated.> I'm sure this is not going to change my
behavior, but I am interested in the issue.> James Nuttall -- Michigan> To
unsubscribe send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the subject unsubscribe.>
visit the list home page at>