From: Sudhir R (NeSTIT)
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:59 PM
Subject: [AI] On laptops and Operating Systems

Hi folks !

I have been following the various threads on AI dealing with laptops and the
various OSs like Windows Vista, Windows XP, Ubuntu etc and am utterly
confused as to the right choice (if there is something like that) since I am
myself contemplating the purchase of a laptop.

On the one hand, most reputed manufacturers (except Dell) seem to have
stopped shipping XP-based machines, while Vista is a real pain from what
Vetri and Syed have been reporting and I discovered myself.  Ubuntu seems to
be good from the point of view of immunity from malware though I am not too
sure whether we have a good eco-system  to support us like a large community
of blind users, applications for use in a business environment etc.  We
cannot take political decisions on matters of OS, you know, just because
Open Source is the latest fad and we all love to hate Bill Gates. (smile)

What about iMacs, laptops running Mac OSX, which, I understand, is a Linux
variant and equally immune from malware.  I remember reading somewhere that
Mac OSX comes bundled with a screen reader, and, since it is a proprietory
product, getting support from the company will be easy.  The only remaining
question is whether we have a community of blind Mac users (either in India
or abroad) to pose queries to, as we do in AI ?

Pl share your views and experiences on iMac, Mac OSX, the bundled screen
reader and the eco-system.  Would request someone like Vetri, who is in the
Apple country and purchased a laptop recently, to tell us why he opted for
one running Bill's latest (still-born ?) baby ?

Thanks and rgds

RS
M: 098 472 76 126
To unsubscribe send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with