Hi all,
I had an amazing experience of hosting a lunch for about 20 people
independently for the first time at Cafe Zenea, a prominent restaurant
in Nagpur.
Special thanks to Amar Jain for his valuable inputs and encouragement
when I had sought insights through a post before the event. Following
was my experience.
Before the event
Despite my birthday being on 14th, I decided to host my friends on
12th (Sunday) as it enabled me to invite them for lunch: as I have
partial vision during the day and thus could have a broad grasp of the
happenings in broad daylight. I had initially planned to have the
lunch on the lawn adjacent to and belonging to the restaurant but the
kind restaurant owner Mr. Sanjay, in order to save me of the
unnecessary cost burden, suggested to make special arrangements in the
open backyard of his restaurant. Though, his subordinates were
initially reluctant (as it would be difficult to organise the buffet
outside and it would block two persons to serve us on a busy Sunday
afternoon), appreciating my genuine handicap, they kindly agreed.
While finalising the menu, I made sure to include the top hits of the
restaurant in every course of the meal. While inviting, I made sure to
inform the guests of their acquaintance/ friend on the guest list in
order to comfort them and help logistically(coming together etc.).
At the event
Being a touch nervous and les confident, I had requested my closest
friend to reach early to pitch in if needed. Though he did reach in
time and happily volunteered to be my assistant manager, the kind
staff of the restaurant ensured that his help was never needed! Hardly
had I reached, Mr. Prashant who had taken my order, greeted me asking
about the whereabouts of
 my guests and apprising me
of the arrangements already underway for my party.
As my guests came, I briefly introduced each one to the group and
seated them close to people they would best jell with. Fortunately,
per my reckoning, no guest was bored or excluded from the chatter..
Here I would like to laud the mature, sensitive and polite behaviour
of the restaurant staff. One of them was always posted near my chair
to take my instructions and save one of my guests the hassle of
repeatedly calling someone. They whispered their suggestions/ queries
in my ear, letting me the final call. Till most of the guests arrived,
one waiter stood at the entrance to guide anybody unable to find the
place. I was very apprehensive of my guests not eating well specially
the introvert ones, but the restaurant staff served so lovingly that I
am sure most people overate. The whole process was so smooth that
neither my guests nor me ever became conscious of my disability!!
I owe this to the kind staff of Cafe Zenea. I had always known Zenea
for its mouth watering food and rocking ambiance but now respect it
more for its amazing staff.
This experience greatly boosted my confidence and lends more weight to
the dictum that the more we experiment and challenge ourselves, the
further we will go.
Best

Turab