Dear member,
I was reminded of my college days when I saw your mail. Of course it
was almost 35 to 40 years back I completed my M.A. from Mumbai
university with Economics as my principal subject and Political
science as a subsidiary subject.
In this connection, I would like to put forth the following:
First of all the person should have real liking for the subject. If
that is so, she will be ready to struggle without avoiding the
difficulties.
Secondly, I don't  know if the person concerned has some residual
vision. In my case I had very little vision but my father used to draw
diagrams on a slate with chock, which I could see in bright sun light.
If this is not possible, I would suggest that her professor should
develop a rough tactile model of a simplest graph as most of the
Economics graphs are related to co-ordinate geometry. Once she gets
the perception of x and y axis co-ordinates  she should be able to
follow even oral explanation to a great extent.
Regarding maths, I may be wrong but I noticed a general dislike for
maths in majority of visually challenged. This is not their fault I
suppose. Most of our school lack proper personnel and techniques for
teaching this  subject. Naturally the foundation is weak and as such
we develop a sort of resistance about the subject.
I feel the person teaching this subject should be, first of all, very
calm and cool-headed. He cannot afford to lose patience. If the person
in question lacks basic  knowledge of equations, he will have to take
real life examples where equations are useful and essential. She
should know basic rules of solving equations and types of  equations.
To begin with she should be encouraged to solve very simple equations
where less calculation is involved and can be performed orally if a
slate or similar device cannot be used. Once she develops the
necessary liking, I am sure she will readily come forward and give up
her resistance.
Hope it helps. Would be happy to help in whatever way I can.
Sincerely,
C. B. Kulkarni
 On 28/08/2018, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj10...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been asked for help by a professor who is teaching a course in
> economics to a blind student at NLSIU, Bangalore. His concern is that he is
> struggling to teach her the 2 main pillars of economics viz. graphs and
> mathematical problems. Insofar as graphs are concerned, he mostly gives a
> textual description of the content and she is able to follow along. However,
> mathematical problems are a bigger concern.
>
> He says that she is showing a lot of resistance in solving equations. While
> he can choose to let her get by without solving these equations, he wants to
> push her to find ways of solving them. I am wondering if there are people on
> this group who pursued economics at the undergraduate level and can comment
> on how this can be done.
>
> He is worried that he may come across as being discriminatory if he pushes
> her hard to solve these equations. He also doesn't have clarity on how best
> to help her.
>
> Best,
> Rahul
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Mobile +918080742446 Land line : 0251  2482633
skype ID: chandrashekhar.b.kulkarni