TISS to help state varsities reach out, improve access for disabled
students - Times of India

Dec 25, 2018, 05.07 AM IST Printed from MUMBAI: The Tata Institute of
Social Sciences (TISS) will help public universities in Maharashtra to be
disabled-friendly. The state has directed universities to collaborate with
‘I Access Rights Mission’ —a field action project of TISS—to successfully
offer barrier-free access to disabled students on their campuses, to
address their needs in pedagogy and to offer equal opportunities. TISS will
conduct a needs assessment study in public universities and frame
guidelines that will be unique to each university. Since the state does not
have a machinery to conduct an audit of the facilities universities’ boast
about, the department of higher and technical education has sought expert
help from TISS. The team from the institute which has been successfully
running the I Access mission since 2013, will be meeting representatives of
disabled students from across universities to understand their
requirements. Vaishali Kolhe, project director of the mission and an
associate professor at TISS’ Centre for Disability Studies and Action, said
they have observed that students with disabilities find it tough to pursue
higher education. “If they do not get the required infrastructure, aid and
appliances, it will affect their overall academic development. We wish to
assist each of the non-agricultural universities and study students with
disabilities in the next two years,” said Kolhe. While the university is
expected to bear the funding, the team of I Access will provide the
expertise for the action-based work. In a government resolution (GR) passed
in 2017, the state identified 21 disabilities for the first time to be
considered for offering concessions/ facilities in educational
institutions. In another GR passed in August this year, based on Supreme
Court’s directive, the state made it compulsory to offer barrier-free
accessibility on campuses and monitoring of these facilities. The mission’s
‘call for action’ guidelines has already been circulated to all
non-agricultural universities in the state. “While we have been issuing
directives, the state does not have the machinery to monitor the progress
in colleges and universities. Experts from TISS understand the problem in
depth and they are empathetic to the issue. We, therefore, are asking
universities to collaborate with them. The university will have to ensure
the guidelines are implemented in affiliated colleges as well,” said joint
secretary of higher and technical education department, Siddharth Kharat.
Aconference held recently at TISS highlighted issues on disabilities,
accessibility in the light of legislation and policies in the context of
higher education. Experts also opined that the many disabled students, who
seek admissions under reserved categories tend to drop out after a few
months as they are unable to cope up, as there is a lack of awareness about
the facilities