Raise your differently abled child just how you woul raise his/her other
siblings!!!
This is the first thing I would recommend to any of the new parents.
We don't keep telling our sighted children about what they have and what
they don't  (especially at a young age of 2 or 4). Similarly no need of
telling the VI child about what he/she has and what is not there. Any
special conversation around the topic will make it unnecessarily important.
It's just that let the child grow and adapt to the atmosphere around her.
Just provide assistive devices wherever needed. Let the child adapt to them
very naturally and relish her childhood just like any other child.
I did the same with my daughter. In fact until the age of 7-8, I guess she
was not much aware of her disability. she would think that the world was
like that only, with different kinds of people where all people are blessed
with some talent and some deficiencies. (Yes, I had always told her that
God has not given everything to a single person).
After a certain age I realised that she should now know the ground reality.
she should know how things work in the sighted world, and how her world is
a little different where she needs to work a little bit to make everything
work for her. She should face the fact that there is a world out there
where everything is made available from the perspective of  sighted persons
and we need to correct them 😃 to fit to our own needs!
Slowly, I started revealing this to her with very short talks, never giving
her disability any importance at all.
I remember, she once told me that she would  also ride vehicles like me. I
did not react at that time. Just diverted her attention. After that
whenever this talk came, I slowly inserted a few sentences to make her
aware of the fact that she cannot drive ( in fact I told her she can, but
not on roads😃).
I never discussed these topics as a serious issue.
So the result is, the disability never overpowered my daughter's mind. She
grew up  dreaming just like her sighted sibling, wanting everything in the
world. Today I can proudly  say that she has grown into a very positive
adult!
So my suggestion to these parents is:
1. Don't waste time anymore. Accept the fact and start providing you child
with assistive devices.
(I always wonder why in India we are still not working on giving cane to
our child as early as the child takes the first step. But this needs
detailed discussion on a different mail)
2. Don't worry too much about informing the  child about the disability.
3. If the child is too curious to know and have any queries, DO answer
them. But make it a point that the answers are more factual and technical.
Just make the child aware of the facts and talk as if it is not a big deal.
4. Last but very important. DO NOT BE OVER PROTECTIVE!!
And yes, not all children are alike. What works for one might not work for
other. We just need to try and learn.

Wish the child a great future!!!

Regards,
Kanchan Jain.