Yesterday I replied to Suhas's mail but looks like it got lost in Cyber space.
Yes thats true v first started at BGFI. And v r a witness to Harish's struggle.
Harish, I and others also struggled on our own to migrate from DOS to Windows
helping each other learning how to get around with graphics. So computer
education for the blind dates back to the days of DOS. In 1990 TIFR also
coloborated with NASEOH and v got a certificate from them.
Nafisa> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in> Date: Tue,
18 Dec 2007 22:30:48 +0530> Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer education for
blind in india> > Hi all> > I joined the RBI in 81 as a telephone operator when
I was in the middle of > HSC which is equivalent to 12th std. Telephonist was
sort of the only job > available to the educated blind then. It was a fun job,
but I was feeling > intelectually choked as it was a very mechanical type of
work.> > I looked for some alternatives and I fancied for the IAS and I learnt
in the > west, the blind were also into programming. This fired my imagination
and > started digging info on it. I got convincedI could make it.> > The next
task was to get myself trained in programming. None of the > institutes would
admit me. Even those who were then technologically savy > pronounced it was
impossible for a blind to do programming.> > To make a long story short, I got
admission to one institute the owner of it > was my father's friend.> > I
started with COBOL language.I had no access technology at all. I would > write
my programme in Braille, read it out to the computer operator, who > would key
it in and tell me the output. It was a very frustrating way to > work on as I
got into major miscommunication problems.> Despite it all, I topped the class.>
> The trend that time was to learn the major languages one after another. I >
however, took a different path. I gave myself a break and practised the >
language very intensively and only thereafter moved to the other language. I >
gained immensely by this approach.> > Computer time during those days was very
precious and scarce, some gentle > souls, did give it to me. I later came
across a person, who owned a Apple > system which had built in speech
synthesizer. I was very thrilled to hear > it. However I learnt later, it could
only be used in games and no screen > reader in it. These were all all 8 bit
processors and few other systems too > came in the market with like
capabilities. I had my hands on most of them as > and when they hit the
market.> > > I came across a person in Canada who was willing to sell a second
hand > terminal. Those days even that costed a fortune and there was lots of >
restriction importing anything. I did not buy it although I felt very bitter >
missing on it.> > Years later, at Blind Graduates forrum of India we bought the
Mimmic speech > synthesizer with HAL screen reader. I had access to it. This
was the biggest > moment and turning point in my life.It was the first time, I
could work on > the computer absolutely independently. I had the synthesizer
but no > computer. At National center for software technology NCST an Premier >
institution offered unlimited access to their systems. My father would bring >
the synthesizer to the railway station in the evening after my job, >
Thereafter we would head to NCST and I would spend some hours there. Most of >
the sundays I would spend there.> > After being sufficiently proficient with
it, I bought my own system. It was > a 16 bit PC with 512 KB RAM running at 10
mhz with 2 5 1/4 floppy drives of > 360 KB each. No hard disk at all. Years
later I bought a 20 MB hard disk. I > kept this system going until 96 when I
got transfered to Bangalore.> > Honestly, this system was very fast compared to
the resources we drive now.> > I came across very interesting gears. When we
started computer classes at > BGFI, we were gifted with an Apple system No
access technology of course, It > had a built in Basic interpretor it was
connected to the Black and White TV > as a monitor.> > I had got a very novel
screen reader which did not drive a speech > synthesizer. Its output was in
Morse code using PC's speaker. The lowest > speed it could go to was 10 WPM.
This too was fast for me. A friend of mine > brought the speed down to 5 WPM
using reverse engineering and working on a > binary file.> > My college friend
gave me a lap top, it turned out it had only > wordprocessing capability and no
possibility to run a screen reader. I > returned it to her not finding use for
it.> > Arround early 90's I learnt somebody had developed a speech synthesizer
at > Bangalore, primarily for defense use. When I tested it, I found It to be >
unsuitable for screen reader. Later, I got yet another information someone >
else had developed a speech synthesizer. I somehow felt this is the right >
place and I took a train for Bangalore. I went to Advanced electronics I was >
greeted by Kashinathan he showed me the synthesizer. It was a built arround >
Mimic synthesizer and was available for a fraction of its cost. He took me > to
the designer of it from IISE. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name > now.
He was a very dedicated soul and had designed many gadgets for us. > During
that period, many blind persons bought this synthesizer and I made > available
the DOS Hal screen reader, of which I got regular updates, as I > had the
licensed version.> > Some time later, an important IC used in the synthesizer
went off > production. He again designed another synthesizer for which I
sourced its > supplier from Bombay. This IC too met with a similar fate.> > My
fingers are really hurting now and I shall continue it another day if the >
story seems interesting enough.> > Warmly> Harish.> > > > ----- Original
Message ----- > From: "Pamnani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:
<accessindia@accessindia.org.in>> Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:34 PM>
Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer education for blind in india> > > Come on
Harish its time you told the whole story with all the difficulties> and the
technology used.> Kanchan Pamnani> Advocate & Solicitor> 9, Suleman Chambers,>
Battery Street, Colaba,> Mumbai - 400 039.> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Suhas Karnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:
<accessindia@accessindia.org.in>> Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:16 PM>
Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer education for blind in india> > > >
mahendra,nafisa and harish will join me in saying that probably blind>
graduates forum of india is the pioneering organisation in initiating> computer
trainig for the blindin india.way back in 1987 the BGFI weekend> training
sessions in Smt Kamala mehta school for blind girls at dadar mumbai> nafisa and
harish were associated with those training programme.dorabji> tata trust
donated a speech synthesizer which was from england named hal .> thereafter
harish joined main streamed computer training institution .later> in year 1990
with the initiative of ratnakar raje the indian guild for> handicapped in
colabaration with national society for equal opportunity to> the handicapped
started dos based computer training programme in mumbai> where harish was one
of the faculty members.me and nafisa were the students> of first batch . the
intresting thing about this training programme was the> students were given a
decent stypend to cover the conyenance charges.> Amities> Suhas v karnik.>
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:> accessindia@accessindia.org.in> Date: Mon, 17 Dec
2007 12:31:42 +0530>> Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer education for blind
in india> >> Hello,> > I think, Computer was used by the vlind people in the
early> nineties in> India. As far as I heard, K. Ramkrishna was one of the
early> users. Harish> kotian also used the DOS-based tiny talk in the nineties.
As> regards> Kolkata, NAB started here a small venture in 1992 or 1993. But it>
did not> continue for long and I never found anybody using a pc until 2000> in>
Kolkata. In fact, computer was too costly in the nineties for personal> use.> >
NAB again started computer education here in the year 2000 and I was> a>
student of that year. Mohammed Asif Iqbal, a fellow member on our list,> was>
our teacher at NAB. I hope, Harish and Ramkrishna will be able to tell> more>
about the beginning of computer education in India.> > Best regards,>> >
Amiyo.> > Cell: +91-9433464329> > ----- Original Message -----> From:> "sriram
kalyanaraman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:> <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>> Sent:
Monday, December 17, 2007 11:37 AM>> Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer
education for blind in india> > > >> Samarthanam , Matruchaya and NAB started
computer education in Bangalore.>> You could write to them for more details. In
Chennai, NIVH and Ability>> foundation have computer traning centers. You
should not only discuss about>> English computer education but also regional
language education. IITM and>> some other institituions developed this
software. Vidya Vriksha taught this>> to interested students (as far as IITM
software.)> > Central Univesrity> Hyderabad has a center along with CEFOL.> >>
> Best wishes,> > K. Sriram> >>> > Subramani L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> >
It's a pitty that > no> one got write a book on the subject. Besides> >
academic interest, this> would serve as an authentic record for the work> >
done in India.> >> >> Subramani> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From:>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Vetrivel> >>
Adhimoolam> > Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:20 PM> > To:>
accessindia@accessindia.org.in> > Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer>
education for blind in india> >> > I think that's correct. Also I have to> say
that NAB Delhi played a> > crucial> > role in identifying and> prioritizing
appropriate screen reading> > softwares> > for visually> challenged in India.
Say for example the hole transition> > from> > MS das> to Windows based screen
readers like JAWS. So computer education> > for> >> visually challenged should
also be analyzed in the context of the> >> evolution> > of the screen readers
themselves.> >> > ----- Original> Message -----> > From: Dinesh Kaushal> > To:
'K Ramkrishna' ;> accessindia@accessindia.org.in> > Sent: Saturday, December
15, 2007 7:45 AM>> > Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer education for blind
in india> >> >>> > Well I took training in NAB delhi in May 1996, and I think
NAB delhi> >> started> > it in 1995 or 1994, I am sure it started in or before
1995> >> >>> > Regards> > Dinesh Kaushal> >> > blog at> >
dineshkaushal.blogspot.com> >>> > -----Original Message-----> > From:> [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> >> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of K> >> Ramkrishna> > Sent:
Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:14 AM> > To:> accessindia@accessindia.org.in> >
Subject: Re: [AI] history of computer> education for blind in india> >> > Dear
Vimal,> >> > I may not be able to> tell you the entire story of computer
education for> > the> > blind in> India. But, I would like to mention that the
Indian Association> > for> >> the Visually Handicap (IAVH) in Mumbai, started
the first such venture> >> in> > our country in November 1997. The project was
funded by IDBI and HDFC>> > bank> > and the center was established at the
university clubhouse in> Churchgate> > Mumbai. Mr. Ram Agarwal of Karishma
Enterprises, Mr. Prakash> Didwania,> > Mr.> > Arwind Bhartia and myself were
the founder trusties of> IAVH and our> > mission> > was to avail the access and
other technology> products and services to> > the> > blind and these shouldn't
be denied to> them, just because they couldn't> > afford such expensive
things.> Subsequently, Victoria Memorial school for> > the> > blind with the
support> of IBM and Voice Vision of Mumbai started> > computer> > education for
the> blind. NAB New Delhi also has such facilities. IAVH> > also> > started
this> in Huydrabad, but this couldn't be run for long. Rest,> > other> >
members> can respond.> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: "vimaldengla"> >
To:>> > Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 3:44 PM> > Subject: [AI] history of>
computer education for blind in india> >> >> > > dear friends,> > > please>
tell me the details about the computer education for the blind,> > > when> was
it started and who played the main role in starting the> > > computer>
education in India. please send me the complete history of> > > the computer>
education of the blind in India.> > > you can send the reply to my personal> id
[EMAIL PROTECTED],> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] from vimal dengla mob.> 09414244549.>
> > To unsubscribe send a message to> > >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > with the
subject unsubscribe.> >> >> > > To change your subscription to digest mode or
make any other> changes,> > > please visit the list home page at> > >>
http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org> > >>
in> > >> >> >> > To unsubscribe send a message to> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > with> >