Hi
Seems very interesting.
Harish

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Ramya Venkitesh
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:30 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Beyond Braille series brings to blind children a new visual
language

Source: Newz Hook <https://newzhook.noclick_com/story/22236>

It's called Ranchhod Sees the World and it's an illustration picture book about
Ranchhod Soni, a visually impaired teacher in Gujarat, who has not disability
come in the way of discovering new things.

Bringing his story alive in a vivid and vibrant way for the first time is the
Beyond Braille series which claims to offer breakthrough research to help
visually impaired people visualise and imagine the world.

This is perhaps the first time, says Nupur Agarwal,Founder, Beyond Braille that
visually impaired readers would get the opportunity to feel the shapes of
objects/figures in the pictures. The idea was triggered while Nupur was doing
her Masters at CEPT University in Ahmedabad.

I worked on the concept of a tactile picture book for the visually impaired
community, exploring and developing it further with different mediums and
materials, I created a 3D printed and embossed version of the illustration
picture book for the visually impaired community. It opens the gate of
potential possibilities for the community to explore picture books like never
before. This would improve their learning, speed and efficiency, thereby
improving their quality of living. Moreover, this invention would make the
learning process more enjoyable. - Nupur Agarwal, Founder, Beyond Braille

Nupur also hopes that the series will also help raise awareness about the
community as an "equally abled" group rather than disabled or a distinct group.

"The idea of making it a children's book was so to instill the idea of equality
from the start and the need to build an inclusive world", she says.
This, Nupur, felt was important as experience has shown that many non-disabled
people are unsure, even scared, of interacting with people with disabilities.

Behind the final creation lay months of intense research by Nupur and her team
in finding the best materials, Braille text and other methods.
Initially, she created the book manually with the use of thread as the primary
material. "After the project, I took a year's break when I worked as a designer
and thought of ways to mass produce this. I found a 3D designer and printer who
were willing to collaborate," she adds.

She simultaneously worked on the storytelling, going through the process of
capturing the story, rhyming it, reading it, and imagining it from a child's
perspective.

"The children were so fascinated when their fingertips touched and felt the
illustrations for the first time", says Vidhi Tulsyan, a project volunteer.
"This was my first time working with visually impaired kids and it was all very
new and refreshing. We went to the blind school in Surat, interacted with kids
there and they were really into the project. It feels great to be a part of
this."

If you want to know more about Beyond Braille, visit the website
http://beyondbraille.noclick_com/. You can also order the book here.

ALSO READ: 'Look Out Look Within' explores the world of inclusion through the
lens of friendship <https://newzhook.noclick_com/story/20859>

Thanks & Regards

Ramya Venkitesh |Head New Initiatives

Newz Hook <http://www.newzhook.noclick_com/>

Newz Hook is now on WhatsApp <https://newzhook.noclick_com/whatsapp>

Search for old postings at:
http://www.mail-archive.noclick_com/accessindia@accessindia.org.in/

http://accessindia.org.noclick_in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.