the article with this,

Regards.

Speech Technology Magazine

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sensory Announces NewTime-Setting Technology

By Lauren Shopp

Walking into Grandma's houseand seeing the VCR blinking 12:00 could soon be a
thing of the past. With a newupdate to its FluentChip firmware, Sensory is
making it possible for granny toset the clock on her VCR with her voice.

FluentChip v3.1, whichSensory released yesterday, includes TimeSet, a
technology that allows anyRSC-4x enabled device with a clock to have its time
set using natural spokenphrases, eliminating the confusing manner in which
digital clocks areprogrammed.

The chip will be embeddedinto consumer products such as alarm clocks, microwave
ovens, VCRs, DVRrecorders, and thermostats. It doesn't require any user or
device training, oran unusual sequence of spoken commands or discrete input of
digits. It isactivated by pushing a push-to-talk button on the device.

Todd Mozer, president andCEO of Sensory, believes the chip's ease of use will
entice consumers."Historically, you hit the timeset and the clock says, 'Please
say thehour,' 'Please say the minutes', 'Please say a.m. or p.m.'," he
states."That's cumbersome and takes a lot of steps." Products embedded withthe
new FluentChip give users the ability to say just, 'Seven-thirty a.m.' toset an
alarm clock or program a recording time for their television.

Mozer says a Hong Kong company, Cyber Workshops, is currentlydeveloping a
platform around FluentChip: a clock with other time-relatedcapabilities.
Electronics with the technology could be available as early asnext year.

"There's a really highdemand for it; people wanted it for a long time," Mozer
states. "Wejust didn't have the accuracy on our chips to do it. The issue is we
can do iton software on a PC but doing it on a little eight-bit processor with
limitedmemory is difficult."

Though the chip acts as analternative to a recording device's visual interface,
Sensory says FluentChipis in no way trying to compete with that interface.
"[FluentChip] is verycomplimentary," Mozer says.

http://www.speechtechmag..com/Articles/News~News-Feature~Sensory-Announces-New-Time-Setting-Technology-40433.aspx

BlindNews Mailing List

Subscribe:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with "subscribe" as subject

Unsubscribe:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe" as subject

Moderator:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSSfeeds will be published shortly.