I am also sailing on the same boat.  I hold a doctoral degree in
Chemistry and I find people in my knowledge who are well qualified
around me as friends Getting a scribe with such a constraint is a big
challenge. Making a good coordination with the organization’s scribe
remains always a handicap we encounter. Even if we take our own scribe
for the examination, they treat very badly and in a disgusting manner
which disappoints a lot while going to perform there.Non’Chemistry
person cannot help to read the question paper in a good manner and
scribe with a limitation of qualification cannot be met by the
requirement of a scholar of the other  field. I would also like to
share here a few incidences which disappointed me  very much and I
fear of such things to happen  again in all of next attempts in any
examination.

In IIT Kanpur, they allotted same compensatory time to all the
categories of PwD candidates, even if they had not adopted any scribe
and were good at writing their own exams themselves.

In the same institute, in one other examination, they didn’t let read
the markings in the glaring burette in the torch light while trade
test by their lab assistant. They didn’t provide any alternative to
the graph paper and just told to leave making it . They provided
graphical question also in the same trade test.

In IIT Madras, they took a hand-written note that they will provide me
assistance while trade test as per my requirements, However, they
failed to provide  it and given a task to distinguish the color shades
of the pH indicator.

In Airport Authority of India, they didn’t provide support reading the
material for typing test as per my requirement and left the seat
vacant.

In MP Vyapam, they didn’t let me take a scribe while online test. They
didn’t provide it from their side also. I filled the application in VI
category but there was no any field to ask for scribe at that time. I
called to the Controller of the Examination but they didn’t permit and
I didn’t appear on the said exam.

In CSIR CDRI, they didn’t let my scribe write the calculations, It was
mental ability test and there were long series of numbers what I had
to memorize in a sequential manner to give an option to my scribe to
make a tick mark only . I had to write the complex numbers’ series
again and again and do make big calculations on paper without any
assistance . Besides, they were standing beside me and making the
examination worse with  their constant disturbances. They had no
guidelines to give proper compensatory time. Next to this paper, they
overlapped the time of other paper which had a negative marking and
counted more marks. They didn’t allow me to relax my weak eyes getting
tired of striving to see the calculations even on demand, though it
was not possible to see the printed or hand-written notes with eyes.
In the third paper, they put graphical questions but they didn’t
provide me an alternative questions. The scribe was unable to explain
it. When I opposed they brought their senior to make a promise that
they will omit these questions and will not count such questions for
marking. They didn’t provide any written statement of this even on
making demand of it.  In fact they knew that I scored highest in the
trade test on the previous day but now  they were creating obstacles
so that I may not perform well.

There are a lot to speak  about. I have now left applying any more
because of the bitter experiences I had ever faced and applying other
streams as there is no room for a VI in the field of Chemistry.

With warm regards,
*Dr. Akash Kumar Gupta*
*(STPI585, Assistant A-II)*
*Software Technology Parks of India*