I have just been informed that Prof Shamnad Basheer passed away under very
tragic circumstances. Shamnad was only 43.

I met him for the first time when we were presenting to the Standing Committee
of Parliament on the copyright issue.

Although he was not disabled he had researched the subject thoroughly and had
been guiding us, strategizing with us and had been lobbying for us in
government circles and in the legal community.

After the presentation we had chai together and one thing I still remember he
looked at us and said it was a great thing that the community that was most
affected was leading the fight.

This is when he set up IDIA-

Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA), a non‑profit body that aims
to empower underprivileged communities through legal education.

He not only trained underpriviledged including visually impaired children to
give and do extremely well in the Common Law Tests for the National Law
Schools/Universities, but also held their hand by arranging accessible study
material, helped them with stipends and placements. He even tried to get
accommodation for the IDIA scholars during their internships.

He was someone whose intentions I could trust entirely. He was a man of both
wit and wisdom.

I am at a loss for further words.

I can only say we lost a great friend, a great man, a great thinker and each
one of us in this group must bow to a man who has stood by us and who used his
brilliance for the good of the community.

We have lost many from this group and I miss them all.

The loss of brilliance of Rahul Cherian, Javed Abidi and now Shamnad Basheer by
their untimely deaths at a young age, will never be forgotten or be
replaceable.

Kanchan

https://www.avg.com