I agree we need to be constructive even in our criticism. But that
doesn't mean our concerns are any less important. If they bring in
captcha without any accessible alternative, that is a trash move for
us and is not in line with the letter and spirit of the law of the
land and they need to be told the same. But when they have listened to
us and introduced voice captcha that is a a mostly working but not
adequate solution, think we need to be milder the we approach them,
need to consistently give feedback and try and make them understand
our perspective better.
In any case, whether captcha is a major security feature is highly
disputed by tech experts themselves, so in bringing about such a
rather unreliable solution, don't think the bank can get away by
saying that security is more important than accessibility. Remember
many of the global banks, even banks bigger than SBI across the globe,
many of them don't use captcha. One thing I am concerned about the SBI
move, is that the country's largest bank is also a trend setter. So if
other banks would also start on the same front, then we surely will
have a huge problem on our hands as many have an atrocious record in
dealing with concerns of visually impaired and other disabled people.
so while we do need to be constructive and non-confrontational as much
as possible, we need to be strong too.

Dr. Mahesh S. Panicker
Assistant Professor,
Department of Political Science,