As part of her thesis project, Dr Nikisha Jariwala, a professor at a Surat
college for women has developed a model for blind and low students that
converts Hindi, English, and Gujarati text to Braille. The model is being
used by students at a local school for blind and low vision students.

A labour of love for over four years for Dr Nikisha Jariwala has finally
borne fruit. This professor at the Smt.Tanuben and Dr Manubhai Trivedi
College of Information Science in Surat learned Braille to develop a model
that can convert Hindi, English, and Gujarat text into Braille.

Dr Jariwala started working on the model four years ago as part of her
thesis project called 'Design and Development of the model to transliterate
digitalised multilingual text into braille and speech - An aid for visually
impaired people'.

"I wanted to do something that would be socially relevant and that led me to
choose this as a topic of research for my thesis. It took me four-and-a-half
years of working day and night to develop this to my satisfaction. With this
model, people who are blind and low vision can communicate easily with
everyone and study like everyone else on an equal footing." - Professor
Nikisha Jariwala, Developer

Read on to know more https://bit.ly/2lXAcJq

Warm Regards,

Ramya Venkitesh