From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Kanchan Pamnani
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:37 PM
To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning the
disabled.'
Subject: [AI] Air travel for passengers with disabilities still stressful -
Times of India

                Air travel for passengers with disabilities still stressful
- Times of India

MUMBAI: Not being assured of airline assistance for boarding and deboarding at
airports, especially foreign ones, can make air travel quite stressful for
visually impaired solo travellers. A professor from Pune had a difficult time
early this month after his request for assistance at Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi
airport was accepted by the airlines only after several protests.
Last week, Sanjay Jain, associate professor at ILS Law College, travelled solo
to Johannesburg to attend a disabilities conference. He was booked to fly Air
Tanzania and return on Etihad via Abu Dhabi. He called up the airlines for
assistance a week before his flight. "I'm visually impaired, I cannot board
without help," said Jain. "Air Tanzania promptly responded to my request for
assistance with boarding." With Etihad, it was first a no, then a yes on day
two, provided he produced a medical certificate. "Then they agreed to assist,
but refused to send a mail or a screenshot or some kind of documentation that I
could rely on as proof, if they eventually denied help at the airport. It was
quite stressful," he said. TOI sent a query to Etihad on September 27. The
airline did not respond. But on October 3, it did provide assistance to Jain in
Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi airports.
"Why haven't airlines yet adopted common practices that makes travel easier for
people with disabilities. Why should we go through such stress before a
flight?" asked Jain. Airlines global trade body, the International Air
Transport Association (IATA), in its annual general meeting held this year, had
unanimously approved a resolution to improve the air travel experience for the
estimated one billion people living with disabilities worldwide. But it seems,
there are miles to go before it becomes a reality. On domestic air travel front
though, much has improved, especially after the 2016 Jeeja Gosh Supreme Court
judgment, said solicitor Kanchan Pamnani, who has boarded a number of domestic
flights solo in the past four decades. The Supreme Court Jeeja Ghosh 2016
judgement has brought much attention to problems faced by passengers with
disabilities. Disabilities rights activist Ghosh had moved the court after a
2012 incident, wherein she was offloaded from a SpiceJet Kolkata-Goa flight on
instructions of the commander. "Even after four years of the said incident
whenever she has a flashback, she feels haunted with that scene when she was
pulled out of the plane, like a criminal. She continues to have nightmares,"
read her petition. The petition sought a system under which differently abled
persons do not suffer this kind of agony, humiliation and emotional trauma
which amount to doing violence to their human dignity and infringes, to the
hilt, their fundamental rights under Articles 14 and 21 of the Constitution.
"Despite that, sometimes I come across staff who aren't well-trained," said
Pamnani, who is visually impaired. Recently, she was led to wrong end of the
parking lot as the airline attendant wasn't familiar with the layout of Mumbai
airport. "There are about one crore visually impaired persons in India," said
Suhas Karnik, honorary secretary of National Association for the Blind. Karnik,
who also travels frequently on domestic routes, has largely had good experience
with airlines. However, airlines could bring about a few changes to make air
travel easier for these passengers, he said. "Airline crew/staff training needs
to include a module on how to handle disabled passengers. NAB can help with it.
We can work with airlines and conduct training for crew," said Karnik.

https://www.avg.noclick_com

Search for old postings at:
http://www.mail-archive.noclick_com/accessindia@accessindia.org.in/

http://accessindia.org.noclick_in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls
asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords,
etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any
manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.