THE 2017 census shows that only 0.48 per cent of Pakistanis are
persons with disability. Assuming a population of 210 million, this
comes to about 1m Pakistanis. Sample-based surveys show that the
percentage of Pakistanis with disability is around 12pc or slightly
more. This comes to about 25m Pakistanis. There is a massive
difference between 1m and 25m people. Planning for a million people is
very different from planning for 25m. Numbers matter. Getting accurate
numbers matters.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1511509/no-data-on-disability
The 2017 census number is clearly a gross understatement. The 1998
census had put the percentage of people with disability at 2.49pc. How
is it possible that this percentage has dropped to 0.48pc over the
last 20-odd years?

More importantly, most international surveys also show that 10pc to
15pc of the population in most places faces a challenge. Can Pakistan
be very different from the global average?

Arriving at reasonable estimates of the incidence of disability is not
a straightforward issue. It is not the kind of thing that can be asked
simply through a yes-no question. This is why the census figure is
such an under-estimate. Carrying out a census is a massive exercise.
We cannot have too many questions in the instrument that is used to
conduct the census. There is limited time and space to have questions
pertaining to disabilities. So the underreporting is not surprising.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
More information is required to understand the needs of our
differently abled children.

The Annual Status of Education Report, 2018, is the most recent survey
that has undertaken comprehensive work on disability and testing
issues, and it is worth looking at its data and methods for a number
of reasons. Aser has used the full set of the Washington Group’s child
functioning module and shown that the module can be effectively
deployed in large-scale household surveys. Successful deployment,
largely through volunteers, implies that we can do this through
surveyors who do not require a long period of training.

Aser has also piloted modules for testing children who are differently
abled. Some of these instruments are important for incorporating
‘mainstream’ assessment systems. Currently, public examinations bodies
— the Punjab Examination Commission and its counterparts in other
provinces, as well as the Boards of Intermediate and Secondary
Education — do not offer any significant options for children who are
differently abled.

We need better data on differently abled children to figure out the
nature of the challenges they face, the level of that challenge, what
support is needed, etc, in order to understand what sort of policies
should be in place to ensure that differently abled children are in a
position to fully develop their potential.

We cannot use the census exercise to get credible numbers for our
differently abled population as it requires a much deeper probe and
raises a number of questions related to human functioning. But Aser
has shown we can incorporate this module in other household surveys.
The government of Pakistan, at the federal as well as provincial
level, conducts a number of such surveys, and the child functioning
module should be embedded in them.

Such embedding of the functioning module in the household surveys that
we conduct should not even have been an issue and, in fact, should
have been achieved long ago. But it remains an issue because nothing
has been done about it. So, how do we plan for 10pc to 15pc of the
people if we do not know who they are, where they are and what sort of
support they need?

If we think of even the educational needs of differently abled
children, think about what is being lost due to the lack of good data.
Keeping other factors the same, differently abled children are more
likely to be out of school than in schools; they are more likely to
drop out earlier; they are more likely to struggle with standardised
tests; they are more likely to have trouble finding appropriate
employment opportunities. If we do not have data about the incidence
of disability, how are we supposed to plan for optimal or even
near-optimal support for them?

Similarly, if we lack the appropriate tools for assessing achievement
for the differently abled, how can we open up opportunities for them?
If we cannot get a good idea of what they learn in schools, what
skills they acquire, what potential is present in any child, how do we
create pathways, through legal changes, institutional changes,
organisational changes and changes in standard operating procedures of
various departments to ensure that all children, irrespective of
ability differences, are able to reach their full potential? The
government has been talking of uniformity in education to ensure
equality of opportunity for all children. Do differently abled
children not qualify for the same consideration?

These children need health support as well. Their needs in this area
might differ from those of other children. How do we gear up for
providing these if we do not have the relevant data? If we do not have
modules to carry out early identification, how do we move to
diagnostic models? In the area of health, we need a lot more than
information regarding the incidence of disability of course, but
without such information, how do we even trigger other processes?

Better data is a necessary, though not sufficient, input for
highlighting the importance of an area as well as policymaking linked
to it. Regarding the incidence of disability in children, it is not
that we have poor quality data, but that we do not have any credible
data to work with. Where the incidence of disability is estimated at
10pc to 15pc, we do not have any details about these children. How are
we supposed to do any policymaking and planning? However, instruments
for collecting such data are available and have even been piloted in
Pakistan. We need to move towards embedding these in our regular
data-collection exercises.

Faisal Bari is a senior research fellow at the Institute of
Development and Economic Alternatives (IDEAS), and an associate
professor of economics at Lums, Lahore.

--
सादर/ Regards

अविनाश शाही/ Avinash Shahi
सहायक/ Assistant
मानव संसाधन प्रबंध विभाग/ Human Resource Management Department
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक/ Reserve Bank of India
लखनऊ क्षेत्रीय कार्यालय/Lucknow RO
विस्तार/ Extension: 2232