Written by Alifiya Nalwala
https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/pune/demand-pending-salaries-77-special-teachers-go-on-fast-unto-death-6220553/
For the last three years, special teacher Vijaya Patil from Dhule is
relying on the charity of her relatives to make ends meet. A
government school teacher in service since October 2003, Patil, who is
partially blind, said she has not received over 60 per cent of her due
salary since 2017. Her husband, who is also visually impaired, has
also lost his job and her salary was their sole source of income.

On Thursday, both she and her husband joined 77 special teachers, who
staged a hunger strike outside the Central Building in Pune, which
houses the offices of the commissioner and director of primary
education.

Jaywant Khumte, another teacher from the group, said they had been
hired by the state government under the Apang Ekatma Shikshan Yojana.

“Until 2013, payments were regular and the entire problem started
after that. For several years, our salaries were pending and it was
finally released in May 2017. But after that, the same problem started
again. In August last year, the government had directed to pay 40 per
cent of pending salaries, but many districts have not given even that
and there is silence on the remaining amount. That’s why we decided to
sit on fast unto death from Tuesday,” he said.

Another protesting teacher, Deepali Gholap, who has been in service
since 2006, said that making ends meet was proving to be a challenge.
“Living costs have become so high and on top of that, we have to rely
only on our spouses’ salaries to run households. We are compromising
even for basic needs,” she said.

However, the protesting teachers were called in by the primary
education director’s office and were assured of quick action.

Dinkar Temkar, joint director, primary education, said, “I have
personally directed all district officials to release the 40 per cent
salary payments immediately and we also assured the teachers that we
will follow-up with the state government on the pending salaries,” he
said.

--
सादर/ Regards

अविनाश शाही/ Avinash Shahi
सहायक/ Assistant
मानव संसाधन प्रबंध विभाग/ Human Resource Management Department
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक/ Reserve Bank of India
लखनऊ क्षेत्रीय कार्यालय/Lucknow RO
विस्तार/ Extension: 2232