From: AccessIndia <accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in> On Behalf Of
Pranav Lal
Sent: 05 February 2020 06:15
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Taking the first step towards addressing inaccessible point of
sale terminals

Hi all,

I have taken the first step to addressing the situation with inaccessible
point of sale terminals by writing to the rbi. See the e-mail I sent.
Subject: Need urgent addressing of the situation with inaccessible touch
screen point of sale terminals Dear Sir,

In the past 3 months, there has been a proliferation of touch screen point
of sale terminals. This is causing a massive problem for blind users as well
as  anyone else who is partly sighted. The key pad is a touch screen where
there is no speech feedback. The blind user does not have any buttons to
feel therefore cannot memorize the keys. There is no independent way for a
blind user to enter her credit card pin to authorize the card when
initiating a transaction. In older point of sale terminals, there was a push
button telephone key pad which was easy to operate where blind users could
enter their pin codes independently because the telephone key pad is a
standard bit of equipment and they know the layout and can feel the buttons
before pressing them.
As a community, we welcome progress such as the new point of sale systems
where one only needs to swipe the card. However, inaccessible touch screens
need to be addressed urgently. There are several solutions available which
make these terminals speak and are used in other countries such as the USA.

Could you please direct all merchants to install accessible POS terminals?

We are happy to work with the RBI and look forward to constructive dialogue.
Pranav Lal

Pranav

sent through this mailing list..