---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 長瀬修 Nagase Osamu <nag...@an.email.ne.jp>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 20:49:07 +0900
Subject: Wuhan/China - East Asia Disability Studies Forum,
sakura(cherry blossoms) and gyoza (dumplings)
To: disability-resea...@jiscmail.ac.uk

Dear All,

This is an on-line essay in Japanese on Wuhan, released a week ago on 5
February 2020.

http://www.reddy.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/act/essay_serial/nagase.html#20200205

Below find the Google based English translation.

Hope the overall situation gets under control soon.

==================-----

Wuhan-East Asia Disability Studies Forum, Sakura, Gyoza

Nagase Osamu

Professor, Institute of Ars Vivendi, Ritsumeikan University

If you hear Wuhan, now you will most likely think about a new type of
pneumonia caused by coronavirus. I feel that it was a great pleasure to hold
the East Asia Disability Studies Forum 2019 in Wuhan October last year.

The East Asia Disability Studies Forum has been held in Seoul in 2010, and
has been a forum for discussions and exchanges of East Asia's disability
studies that have been held every year. Ritsumeikan University's Institute
of Ars Vivendi, to which I belong, has been the host organization from the
beginning, and started in the framework of Korea and Japan, but has since
been joined by China and Taiwan. It cannot be forgotten that the East Asian
network formed through open lectures and workshops by REASE (Study on
Economic and Social Exclusion), the predecessor of REDDY (Economics of
Diversity), contributed greatly to its expansion. .

The East Asia Disability Studies Forum 2019 in Wuhan was the tenth in its
entirety, with the theme "Inclusive Society for All," and the second in
China, following Beijing in 2015. Wuhan is located in central China, facing
Yangtze River, the longest river in Asia and the third longest river in the
world, flowing from the Tibetan Plateau to the East China Sea. Wuhan is a
huge city with a population of more than 10 million, with high-rise
buildings. On this visit, I was impressed by the magnificent night view.

In modern history, Wuhan is known for the uprising of 1911, which triggered
the establishment of the Republic of China, and for the Battle of Wuhan. The
Japanese army captured and occupied Wuhan, the temporary capital of the
Republic of China's Chiang Kai-shek administration, in 1938.

According to Ishikawa Tatsuzo, who accompanied the Japanese army, in
concluded his book “Wuhan Campaign” saying that "The war will soon be
over, and the wounded soldiers will return soon. Until the day when their
life's peace and happiness came to a reality, the full joy of the war was to
be put on hold". The renowned blind and disability rights leader Matsui
Shinjiro (awardee of Yoshikawa Eiji Cultural Award), who was blinded by the
Xuzhou operation prior to the Wuhan operation, comes to mind.

Wuhan has famous cherry blossoms. Cherry trees were planted at Wuhan
University, which was seized by the Japanese army during the war to comfort
injured Japanese soldiers.  And now many citizens go to Wuhan University for
cherry-blossom viewing.

I first visited Wuhan in August 2013. I was invited to participate in
inclusive education and employment meetings and training events for young
people with disabilities, including those with intellectual disabilities,
organized by disability and civil society organizations in China. The
meeting adopted the "Wuhan Declaration" as a result.  It was a time when
there was still freedom, sometimes shortly after the inauguration of the
current administration.  At present, this is impossible, and it is really
sad that training opportunities for young people with disabilities have been
closed.

I was a bit nervous about the visit to Wuhan, as Japan-China relations were
very bad due to the issue of the Senkaku Islands, and the anti-Japanese
demonstration across China had taken place in the previous 2012.  In fact, I
was really welcomed by the Chinese participants. It's a wonderful memory
that volunteer staff students have asked me many times to join their photos.

During the meetings, the staff of Wuhan University Public Interest Law
Development Center, guided me another participant from Japan to the famous
Yellow Crane Tower sung in Li Bai's poem. She asked me and at the Yellow
Crane Tower with a good view, "I'm close to my house, so please have lunch
at my house".  We appreciated the generous offer and accepted the snap
invitation.

When she arrived at her house, her relaxed father was surprised that her
daughter suddenly brought foreign guests. However, as soon as he understood
about the situation, he immediately went out of the way to go out to buy
ingredients in the terrible heat to cook water dumplings with his daughter
(gyoza) for our lunch.

While eating, I could not help asking about the war between Japan and China.
He told me that one of relatives died.  Hearing this, I appreciated the
gyoza more. When we left, he even gave us beautiful ink paintings as a
souvenir.  I found the hospitality .

I have been thinking about my friends and colleagues in Wuhan since the new
pneumonia gained a lot of attention and especially after the city was sealed
off in late January.  I realize that it has a great meaning to work on the
same theme across borders is particularly important in East Asia where
political and historical factors, including colonial rule, the Cold War, are
dividing us. East Asia Disability Studies Forum is just one example that
unite us. I understand the meaning of having personal relationships in which
we can think of individual faces, not as Chinese or Japanese, for instance.

In June this year, we are inviting Professor Zhang Wanhong of Wuhan
University, a partner of our East Asia Disability Studies Forum, to Kyoto
for intensive lectures. On September 26 and 27, the East Asia Disability
Studies Forum 2020 will be held at the Suzaku Campus in Kyoto, hosted by
Ritsumeikan University's Institute of Ars Vivendi. The theme is "Living
independently in the community" (Article 19 of the Convention on the Rights
of Persons with Disabilities), and participation from Singapore and Hong
Kong is being considered.

I sincerely hope that the spread of the new type of pneumonia will have
ended by the time of the Forum in Kyoto. We look forward to participation
from Wuhan. I myself look forward to the next opportunity to visit Wuhan.  I
also want to appreciate the beautiful Wuhan cherry trees that I haven't had
the chance to see yet.

=====

長瀬修 Nagase Osamu

 <https://www.ritsumei-arsvi.org/> 立命館大学生存学研究所(「生存学研究セン
ター」は2019年4月1日より常設の研究所です)

★  <http://www.reddy.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/act/essay_serial/nagase.html#20200205>
武漢ー障害学国際セミナー、桜、水餃子

☆ <https://fukuryusya.com/> 『わかりやすい障害者権利条約-知的障害のある人
のために』(長瀬修編著、伏流社)

☆  <http://www.reddy.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/act/essay.html#20190703> 国際障害者
年ー「19年の薔薇」とキヒア

☆ ”Voices From Survivors of Forced Sterilisations in Japan” <https://www.
taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781351165082> , The Routledge Handbook of
Disability Activism
<https://www.routledge.com/The-Routledge-Handbook-of-Disability-Activism-1st
-Edition/Berghs-Chataika-El-Lahib-Dube/p/book/9780815349303>

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for
Disability Studies at the University of Leeds
(www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies).

Enquiries about list administration should be sent to
disability-research-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk

Archives and tools are located at:

सादर/ Regards

अविनाश शाही/ Avinash Shahi
सहायक/ Assistant
मानव संसाधन प्रबंध विभाग/ Human Resource Management Department
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक/ Reserve Bank of India
लखनऊ क्षेत्रीय कार्यालय/Lucknow RO
विस्तार/ Extension: 2232