Victory! American Airlines reverses their ban on wheelchairs!
Maayan Ziv
Toronto, Canada
23 NOV 2020 — Over the past few weeks we have worked hard to rally together
after American Airlines announced a new discriminatory policy that banned
wheelchairs weighing more than 300lbs from their aircrafts. Within 3 weeks
we collected over 8,470 signatures, shared comments and stories of our
collective outrage, and created significant amplification on social media.
Today we are celebrating victory.

American Airlines has officially reversed their policy - ending the weight
limit - and released the following statement:

"After close consultation with our safety team and our aircraft
manufacturer partners, we’ve eliminated the conservative weight limits that
temporarily impacted our ability to carry some mobility devices and
wheelchairs on our smaller, regional aircraft. Those limits have been
replaced with guidelines, approved and reviewed by the FAA, that better
reflect the ability of the cargo floor to support mobility devices and
wheelchairs based on their distributed weight. We’re confident that the
modifications we’ve made will allow us to safely accommodate customers’
wheelchairs and mobility devices on all of our aircraft.

We apologize for the confusion this has caused, and we value the feedback
and outreach we’ve received from our community partners and customers in
recent weeks. We are committed to learning from this as we redouble our
focus on improving the travel experience for our customers with
disabilities."

https://www.change.org/p/american-airlines-reverse-american-airlines-discriminatory-policies-against-people-with-disabilities/u/28112703?recruiter=711168083&utm_source=share_update&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive&utm_term=deeebc34ea9d48f08dfb23ff6ea6d767&recruited_by_id=f5577c10-262b-11e7-836f-33f6dc2dd714