Visually impaired kids need teachers like them: Medalist
 / TNN / Nov 21, 2021, 04:35 IST
Lucknow: Just opening schools or universities for the disabled is not
enough, the government should understand that a visually impaired
student can be best taught by a visually impaired teacher who can
understand the learning challenges faced by such students, shared
visually impaired BEd student Arvind Kumar Rathore of Dr Shakuntala
Misra National Rehabilitation University (DSMNRU)The son of an
electrician, Rathore will be conferred the Dr Shakuntala Misra
Memorial Gold Medal, awarded to the highest-scoring visually impaired
student at the undergraduate level and Sanskriti Gold Medal awarded to
the highest scoring differently abled student in BEd, at the eighth
convocation ceremony of the university on November 29.
Coming from a humble background, Rathore says he was ‘atmanirbhar’
since childhood: he won debates and various scholarships that helped
him complete his dream of education.“Other students can revise
syllabus in just a few hours, but those like me need at least 24 hours
as we don’t have the luxury to just turn pages. We have to hear the
syllabus through audiobooks,” said Arvind, who aspires to become a
teacher.
He said a visually impaired teacher can best understand such
challenges as he or she has gone through the same and will take care
of teaching speed or preparation time, he added.“These medals will
motivate me to work for the education of specially abled students. As
a number of students are not aware of learning material, I will tell
them about it,” he said.BTech student Arpita Kumar has bagged the
topmost Chancellors’ Gold Medal.As many as 145 medals—53 gold, 46
silver and 46 bronze will be awarded to students. Around 1,100
students will be conferred degrees.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/visually-impaired-kids-need-teachers-like-them-medalist/articleshow/87824303.cms