12/14/21, 4:21 PM 'Disability Must Be Viewed As Strength, Not Burden' - The
Times Of India - Mumbai, 12/14/2021
https://epaper.timesgroup.com/olive/odn/timesofindia/printarticle.aspx?doc=T
OIM%2F2021%2F12%2F14&entity=ar01812&ts=20211214004037&. 1/2 Q&A 'Disability
Must Be Viewed As Strength, Not Burden' Pandemic has widened the gap in
societal inclusion. Companies need to be open to hiring all Globally,
unemployment among people with disabilities is higher than the rest of the
population. Jenny Lay-Flurrie, Chief Accessibility Of icer at Microsoft,
explains to Sanjiv Shankaran ways to open the door to them: You once
remarked that "you're never done with the journey of disability inclusion."
How has the progress been over the last two decades? The pandemic has
fuelled the disability divide, which is the gap in societal inclusion for
people with disabilities, including in education, employment and access to
technology. It's incumbent on us to keep putting disability inclusion at the
forefront of our company mission. It will remain a journey until we get to
the point where we have a bar of social equity and inclusion for people with
disabilities across several different facets of life, particularly education
and employment. How can the tech industry help people with disabilities
remove hurdles towards employment? Research shows that people with
disabilities are less likely to get an interview and are often screened out
of the interview process. The United Nations states globally, in most
developed countries, the official unemployment rate for persons with
disabilities of working age is at least twice that for those who don't have
a disability. This means we first need to acknowledge and be aware of bias
and work towards changing the lens on disability. Disability is not a burden
or something to tackle, disability is a skill and an expertise and should be
viewed as a strength. The important part of this methodology is noticing
when your companies' doors are closed throughout the hiring process and
finding ways to open those doors and be inclusive to all candidates.
Microsoft has tapped into a larger talent pool among people with autism by
removing the interview requirement for them. What are other blockers? We've
methodically opened doors in several ways to empower people with
disabilities in the workforce. We also know that in parts of the US and
around the globe, people with disabilities can be paid less than minimum
wage, or "subminimum wage" - sometimes as little as cents on the dollar. At
Microsoft, all of our hires make at least minimum wage, and we require all
of our suppliers to do the same because we believe in fair wages for all.
Other ways that companies hiring committees can ensure their process
holistically empowers everyone to be able to apply and submit their CV, to
be able to be a part of any kind of interview or process, to get the right
skills to get the desired jobs means that websites need to be accessible,
videos need to be captioned, managers should be educated and aware of
disability and have the resources available to support all employees to be
successful. What is your advice for people with less visible disabilities? I
have a couple of less visible disabilities. I'm profoundly deaf and I also
have a blood clotting disorder that really renders my leg, depending on the
day, to work or not work, so I feel this on a personal level 12/14/21, 4:21
PM 'Disability Must Be Viewed As Strength, Not Burden' - The Times Of India
- Mumbai, 12/14/2021
https://epaper.timesgroup.com/olive/odn/timesofindia/printarticle.aspx?doc=T
OIM%2F2021%2F12%2F14&entity=ar01812&ts=20211214004037&. 2/2 and witness it
in the workplace. My personal journey showed me I needed to acknowledge my
disabilities as separate and advocate for what I need to be successful in
the workplace. Since my disabilities are less visible, it meant
self-identifying to make sure I was set up for success in any forum. At this
point in my life, I'm not worried about other people's bias or expectations,
but I do think there's always a question mark when you have a less visible
disability of whether to self-identify or not. Do you ask for the help that
you may need? And I think the biggest piece of advice I can give on that is
to do your research on a company and understand how they view disability. Do
they view it as a strength in a talent pool? Have they taken steps to make
their environment accessible? Do they really believe in disability,
diversity and inclusion principles? And if they do, and you see that the
support constructs are there, then take the steps to self-identify and make
sure that you are given that fair shot through the hiring process and
identify what accommodations you need to be successful.

https://www.avg.com