MOHUA DAS / TNN / Updated: Sep 20, 2022, 04:21 IST
Mumbai: Airline refuses to fly disabled chief of pickleball
association, says 'no policy'
Arvind Prabhoo (centre) was unable to accompany the 16 players
representing India at the 2022 World Pickleball Championship in Bali
MUMBAI: Wheelchair-bound Arvind Prabhoo, chairperson of the All India
Pickleball Association, was unable to accompany the 16 players
representing India at the 2022 World Pickleball Championship between
September 20 and 24 in Bali as he was not allowed to board a Vietjet
flight from Mumbai on Saturday night.
Prabhoo - a quadriplegic after a car accident 35 years ago left him
paralyzed from the neck down - alleges that this was the first time he
was denied a boarding pass on grounds of the airline "not having a
policy for wheelchair-bound passengers" and no aisle chair (a narrow
wheelchair used to transport immobile passengers from their own
wheelchair to a seat during boarding and deplaning).

"Despite telling them that I was ready to pay for an aisle chair from
another airline or my four personal attendants could lift me to the
seat, the airline turned down both my requests saying they were
unprepared to handle me in case of an emergency," he said.
Prabhoo, who is also president of Mumbai Suburban Table Tennis
Association, said he had never faced such a situation on account of
his disability in decades of travelling around the world as a sports
administrator. "I had registered myself as a disabled passenger and
requested wheelchair assistance while booking my flight. Why do they
have the option when they don't have the facilities and why was I not
informed at the time of booking," asked Prabhoo, who wrote to the
ministry of civil aviation on Monday describing his plight.

To add to his ordeal, Prabhoo, the son of former mayor Ramesh Prabhoo,
was asked to write to the airline when he sought a refund and was also
refused a refund for his attendants. "They said that since my
attendants were allowed to board, they would not be granted a
refund...Why would my attendants travel when I wasn't being allowed
to?"
For a fledgling sport just taking off in India with Mumbai set to host
the fifth edition of the international pickleball tournament, the
Bainbridge Cup, in November, Prabhoo, described his experience a
"setback". "I had meetings planned with heads of pickleball
associations from other nations on how we could take the game forward.
Also, this is embarrassing for a physically disabled traveller in the
21st century when we have so many modern facilities."
Prabhoo's predicament comes at a time when the Directorate General of
Civil Aviation (DGCA) amended regulations to improve accessibility of
boarding and flying for the disabled.
In July, the DGCA issued accessibility rules for disabled flyers
saying that airlines should not refuse boarding to any person because
of disability or reduced mobility.
Vietjet India, which launched flight services from Mu-mbai in July,
did not reply to TOI's messages
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/mumbai-airline-refuses-to-fly-disabled-chief-of-pickleball-association-says-no-policy/articleshow/94312623.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TOI&fbclid=IwAR2wjTF5pLVPnce_ApYQPq0WtVraNc4vGDmYE0fdfIhACx3O1ilrAR5qIEk

--
What’s most important is to put the person first, the disability
second  Because we all are people first.