Is shop blindness a thing? If it is, I’m afflicted. It happens when
I’m in a big shop that sells millions of things and I simply can’t
find what I’m looking for, even though I know it’s there. This happens
most frequently in supermarkets, where paralysis of choice is often
the problem. So many peanut butters. So many toilet rolls. So many
washing powders. How? Why? And then there’s that thing they do where
they move sections around. No sooner do you get used to the layout
than it’s inexplicably all changed. The cooking oils go where the
herbs and spices once were, which are now where the pulses were. I’ve
struggled to locate the coconut milk ever since it first went on
manoeuvres just before the pandemic. How much fun they must have
watching us on CCTV, bewitched, bothered and bewildered, scurrying
hopelessly up and down aisle after aisle. I forgive them. It must get
boring running a supermarket. Let them have their sport.

It’s in Boots that I struggle the most, and I apportion no blame to
them. I can just never get to what I’m looking for. I think it’s
because most of the stuff they stock is of a similar, smallish size. I
just see a retina-burning riot of colours with nothing coming into
focus. I walk away, floss-less, vitamin-less, antacid-less, clueless.
I have no idea if they’re guilty of moving stuff around because I so
rarely find it in the first place.

Worst of all are garden centres. A low-lying jungle of plants opens up
before me. I either know what I’m looking for and can’t find it, or
more often, don’t know what I’m looking for and need guidance. Either
way, there’s never anyone around to help. I execute elaborate
twisting, figure-of-eight style laps of the place hoping to chance
upon a human being. Occasionally, I resort to parting the branches of
the bigger trees and bushes to see if anyone is hiding within. Always
in vain. My garden remains bare.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/13/do-you-suffer-from-shop-blindness-ive-struggled-to-locate-coconut-milk-for-years

--
सादर/ Regards

अविनाश शाही/ Avinash Shahi
सहायक/ Assistant
मानव संसाधन प्रबंध विभाग/ Human Resource Management Department
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक/ Reserve Bank of India
लखनऊ क्षेत्रीय कार्यालय/Lucknow RO
विस्तार/ Extension: 2232