Lately, I bought a Lenovo laptop with windows 11 and office 365 included.

As I got the machine, I started it. Narrator was working and giving instructions. I followed the instructions. It configured my wi fi connection, installed windows from an online source, activated office 365 online and also got me to a link where I could install office 21.

After all this, it asked, “would you like to continue using narrator?” I chose yes button and installed jaws also.

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Yamuna Jivana dasa (Yogan)
Sent: 06 July 2023 03:49 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Installing Operating System from bootable disk

Hi,

It is not possible to load a screen-reader into memory early enough in the

boot process to make the bios accessible via screen-reader. Sighted help

will be required to select boot order priority from Bios.

However once you are booting from the install media such as a bootable

memory stick or Windows DVD and the functional component has been loaded

into RAM, at that point you should be able to press Control Windows Enter to

load Narrator.

At the appropriate point during the installer, you may choose to partition

your drives in preparation for installing Windows onto it.

Note this is a very basic partition interface and does not allow you to do

power-user style partition of your disks, such as for dual-boot Etc, at

least not to my knowledge, but I don't think you are asking about that

anyway.

As far as reading the Bios, if you are daring enough you could use something

like the Optacon to read the physical display! I don't know if those things

still exist today but they did when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s.

It's a camera which you could place against the screen, and whatever text is

under the lenz will be translated into a finger pad of tiny pins which

vibrate rapidly to reveal the shape of the printed text under your finger of

the other hand. As one hand moves around the camera, the other hand's

pointing finger feels the text as it changes. Very cumbersome but would be

interesting to try if those things still exist! Any dinosaurs like me on

this list? I do hope so! <Smile>

Sorry for going off-topic! That's my irresistable urge as always.

Yamuna Jivana dasa