Dear Tony

I am afraid, the approach to redress issues raised in the petition  is questionable. It is directly in opposition to the goal one is striving for. It is paradoxical, you want to continue to hold back on the practices you fought hard to get away from. For example, UNCRPD principles strive hard to make laws disabled centric. It upheld the right and judgement of disabled persons themselves rather than others deciding for us what is in our interest. Here, the example you have sited, why do you want to perpetuate the practice where the kartha in HUF decides on the interest of disabled persons. The progressive disabled laws are getting undermined with such islands and exceptions. These are factors which are road blocks in its effective implementation.

One has clearly to de mark on disability and political agenda and narratives. When the two meet it turns a dangerous mix serving the latter at the cost of disabled persons.

If we keep all the frills away, disabled persons are better off in a UCC regime than shaking hands with regressive practices. This raises the question the intention of the disabled activists who have endorsed this petition.

In the highest democratic practices, there is only 1 option to endorse. No voice for those who do not concur with it or who desire to alter their endorsement on a latter date.

My 2 cents on these 2 lines. Drop this exercise, instead, state that disabled persons are also one of the important stakeholders and that the representatives of disabled persons are included in the entire consultative process.

 Harish Kotian