Hi,

When you say TalkBack becomes inactive, I am not sure if TalkBack itself
becomes unresponsive, or the speech synthesis engine simply stops
responding. If the former is the case, then you can try using 2-finger
double tap to Start or stop media?
Please note that your device should support multi-finger gestures for this
to work. To determine if your device supports multi-finger gestures,
perform a three-finger single tap anywhere on the screen and see if you get
the TalkBack menu. If the TalkBack menu doesn't appear even after
performing that gesture, then your device doesn't support multi-finger
gestures.