Hi Folks,

It may be obvious to some but still worth noting from time to time:

Just because a website is accessible does not imply the company is
accessibility friendly. It only means the developers happened to use standard
controls and native off-screen models  in apps which screen-readers know how to
navigate.

When they make modifications to the controls from their developer toolkit, then
they leave the screen-reader unaware of such modifications. An example of this
is ICICI Bank’s App. They have implemented multiple tabs, only the last of
which is the main one we use for actual banking purposes called “Transact”.
Talkback does not know it is an independently activatable item. Prudence
somehow can see that it is.

There are two important keyplayers that need to participate in accessibility,
the first of which is more important in my view:

1.       Screen-reader  developers. They need to keep adding newer standard
control types into the screen-reader’s awareness portfolio. They also need to
include newer off-screen models that gain in popularity. They have the most
important part to play, failing which lobbiests for accessibility will have a
harder time at pulling companies into conformity. If the screen-reader
developer keeps up with the more popular components of the developer toolkit
controls then, as we have already observed, interfaces of companies become
accessible without even knowing or caring about accessibility. This is true for
any screen-reader on any operating system, both computer or mobile devices.

2.        The software developer. These guys are the hardest to reach by
accessibility lobbyists. They function behind a money-focused corporate
bureaucracy. Yet, if they break accessibility design simply by modifying
interfaces for visual appeal without breaking accessibility, then the damage is
done, and fixing the problem becomes a messy reach up the corporate ladder,
often involving legal pressure to force decision-makers at the top to simply
give the order. Often they simply don’t care because they don’t feel they have
to. Arrogance can only be crushed under pressure and does not lend itself to
mere good naturedness.

Even while knowing these things, for me to get involved is a disaster because I
am the worse diplomat you can find. Even for my own needs I  have perhaps
frustrated those in the position to help me by leaning too strongly on their
support. I apologise for that, but in absence of good judgement for when or how
to navigate difficult situations I tend to pressure too much those who might
otherwise care. I offer a public apology to people like Amar Jain on this list
whom I probably drove off the wall while struggling to get Aadhaar during an
urgent need time of my life. Unfortunately my Aadhaar is now here, but, too
good, too late. Such is life.

Anyway I digress as usual.

Kind regards,

Yamuna Jivana dasa