Hi Saurav,

At the outset I must say I agree with you. I do not want to fight on this issue
but I would like you to think.

I must introduce myself. I am late Blind and a practising Solicitor. I did not
learn Braille when I was young as I was low visioned.

I learnt about the other side when I joined AccessIndia.

So I would like you to think of the other side of the story.

1.       Many people feel that it is best for Blind children to study at
Special schools-They have a point and although I do not agree fully I
understand where they are coming from.  Inclusion and integration is not in
isolation. There is much more needed for integration than only going to an
inclusive school.

2.       I don’t like the word”Divyang” but many that I work with do like using
it for themselves.

3.       I personally did not think Braille was important but I have changed my
mind.

4.       Years ago many in this group fought when someone pointed out bad
spellings but now the group has matured and most people spell correctly.

Lots of thoughts are evolving.

I know there is such a special University in Uttar Pradesh. Its been working
for atleast 10 years. I wanted to know what the results were.

When I posted this article from The Times of India I thought maybe the
Government would have studied the UP experience but now I wonder because the
Maharashtra government has not even put up a fight and thankfully dropped the
idea.

I would still like to know whats happening in UP.

Kanchan Pamnani

Advocate and solicitor