From: accessindia@accessindia.org.in <accessindia@accessindia.org.in> On Behalf
Of Shadab Husain
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2024 12:38 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Sharing an article on me Times of India 18jan2024 Mumbai
eddition

That’s amazing of you!

I don’t run daily, only pace in my room for about 30 or so minutes and
sometimes walk up to 6 kilometers. I have participated in 2 marathons. first in
Delhi Vedanta 10 kilometers in October 2023 and then in Lucknow Dainik Jagran
21 kilometers in this December. Tata Mumbai marathon 10 kilometers would be my
third.

That you started running only 7 years ago and do it every week for so many
kilometers has stirred me up to put in some efforts, but trying to run without
holding anyone is out of the menu. I took this running casually, though after
reading your story I think that it could bring some concrete achievements.

By the way Has any blind ever covered 42 kilometers? Talking about a sighted
lady from ABBF – she told that she ran for 96 kilometers in South Africa after
doctors claimed that she won’t be able to walk. Regards, Shadab

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 11:37 AM 'Mohammed Asif Asif Iqbal (IN)' via
AccessIndia
<accessindia@accessindia.org.in<mailto:accessindia@accessindia.org.in>> wrote:
Dear all,
Taking the liberty of copying the text and insering link to times of India
article which came out today.
Thanks and regards
Asif

A marathoner guided by sound, not sight
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/a-marathoner-guided-by-sound-not-sight/articleshow/106938303.cms<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/a-marathoner-guided-by-sound-not-sight/articleshow/106938303.cms__;!!Nyu6ZXf5!s52D0dY2h2vuxJSfcwT7iRPVq9itnDNwl6jMzBgCCP75YkoezWhf75axFqLpZ_ocpeTQss-srSdQN7WW4_NrEMsi$>
Printed from

A marathoner guided by sound, not sight
TNN | Jan 18, 2024, 03.21 AM IST
A marathoner guided by sound, not sight
MUMBAI: Mohammed Asif Iqbal's viewpoint is clear. The blind man, who is set to
run 21km at Tata Mumbai Marathon (TMM) this Sunday, is thankful God gave him
the courage to run. "I could've wasted away at home, but the Almighty has been
kind... I had never imagined I would be able to run, but here I am..." he says.
The Kolkata resident will be flanked by a pair of buddy runners as he hits the
ground running blindfolded on Sunday. His running buddies-Mumbai resident Jay
Mali and Prakash Singh from Kolkata-will guide Iqbal along the route as they
sprint along, steering him in the right direction with just their voices.
It's not unusual for visually challenged persons to participate in races. But
what makes Iqbal's case unique is that he will not be bound by a bandana
strapped to his running buddy, as is usually the case. "I'll run with no
strings attached...with no physical assistance," he says.
But why run blindfolded? Iqbal says his attempt once to get an entry in Limca
Book of Records was rejected on the grounds that he had not been blindfolded in
line with a rule framed to prevent those with no visual loss from claiming
records in the blind category. Ever since then, he has been running blindfolded.

Typically, on Sundays, he runs between 15km and 21km with Singh. "On weekdays,
daily office grind keeps us busy," says an associate director at PwC.
He started running seven years ago, holding the elbow of a sighted person,
until a friend advised him to try running without holding hands. "I was jittery
at that," he admits. The honk of a vehicle or the roar of its engine was scary.
"Today, I run like a free bird," he says, adding that this kind of running has
earned him a credit in Asia Book of Records and India Book of Records. Iqbal
was born with 50% vision.

Iqbal is waiting to get to Mumbai this Friday. Last year, he clocked 3 hours 19
minutes for the half marathon, but this year he has set his sights on finishing
it in 2 hours 45 minutes. Next year, he hopes to do the full marathon (42km).
"That would be a Guinness World Record," says Iqbal. "I believe I can do it."

Mohammed Asif Iqbal
Associate director Pwc India
DN 56 & 57, Sector V Saltlake Kolkata, India 700091
M: +919830059830
E: mohammed.asif.iq...@pwc.com<mailto:mohammed.asif.iq...@pwc.com>

________________________________
"The information transmitted, including any attachments, is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited, and all liability
arising therefrom is disclaimed. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer. Please note if the e-mail
address include "TPR", the sender of this e-mail is a third party resource, and
not an employee, who has been specifically authorized to correspond routine
matters related to the project only. For any clarification with regard to any
non-routine or engagement specific deliverables please contact the assigned
project manager/ project partner."

http://www.mail-archive.com/accessindia@accessindia.org.in/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mail-archive.com/accessindia@accessindia.org.in/__;!!Nyu6ZXf5!s52D0dY2h2vuxJSfcwT7iRPVq9itnDNwl6jMzBgCCP75YkoezWhf75axFqLpZ_ocpeTQss-srSdQN7WW46IchFJV$>
accessindia+unsubscr...@accessindia.org.in<mailto:accessindia+unsubscr...@accessindia.org.in>.
https://groups.google.com/a/accessindia.org.in/d/msgid/accessindia/MAXPR01MB3278C75E28EB0C887E66E01CB1712%40MAXPR01MB3278.INDPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/groups.google.com/a/accessindia.org.in/d/msgid/accessindia/MAXPR01MB3278C75E28EB0C887E66E01CB1712*40MAXPR01MB3278.INDPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer__;JQ!!Nyu6ZXf5!s52D0dY2h2vuxJSfcwT7iRPVq9itnDNwl6jMzBgCCP75YkoezWhf75axFqLpZ_ocpeTQss-srSdQN7WW4xix2sGy$>.

--
http://husainjournal.blogspot.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/husainjournal.blogspot.com/__;!!Nyu6ZXf5!s52D0dY2h2vuxJSfcwT7iRPVq9itnDNwl6jMzBgCCP75YkoezWhf75axFqLpZ_ocpeTQss-srSdQN7WW4-73Th7u$>

https://groups.google.com/a/accessindia.org.in/d/msgid/accessindia/CAFd_ntkvaqMmmSrZUYnOASCsdNWAB%2BNGZKapaNRh%3DE7Qhix%3DYQ%40mail.gmail.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/groups.google.com/a/accessindia.org.in/d/msgid/accessindia/CAFd_ntkvaqMmmSrZUYnOASCsdNWAB*2BNGZKapaNRh*3DE7Qhix*3DYQ*40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer__;JSUlJQ!!Nyu6ZXf5!s52D0dY2h2vuxJSfcwT7iRPVq9itnDNwl6jMzBgCCP75YkoezWhf75axFqLpZ_ocpeTQss-srSdQN7WW45qPYa_H$>.