we are thankful for the same and it is requested for an image or PDF
document to be available on any web of IBA for better implimentation
as banks do not accept an unsigned document if we present the same
printed copy before them.
smiles
srikanth.

On 11/21/08, Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged, St.
Xavier's College <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Accessindians ,

> have the following points to make.
>
> 1) A thumb print recognition system is a workable alternative. As of now
> XRCVC and CMC are working on the joint testing of the system. We are hopeful
> that banks will adopt this system soon given the fact that the IBA
> guidelines are recommending them.
>
> 2) Even now with the present rules in place, a bank will have to find its
> own way of thumb print recognition. They will have to be gently reminded of
> the new rules.
> Dr. Sam Taraporevala
> Director------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC) St. Xavier's
> College, 5 Mahapalika Marg Mumbai - 400001 +91 22 22620661-5 (extn: 366) +91
> 22 22623298 (direct) +91 9967028769 (mobile) [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Date: Thu,
> 20 Nov 2008 06:54:03 +0530> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> accessindia@accessindia.org.in> Subject: Re: [AI] New Banking Guidelines
> from I B A> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > first of all, hearty gratitude to XRCVC
> for their massive effert in> regards to banking guidelines for the visually
> impaired.> Since I am oblivious from laws and policies for visually
> impaired,> wanted to ask several queries.> Many times I've seen that persons
> at the banks denies VI people to open account.> generally, they argue to
> those who uses thum impression.> I stalwartly believe that thum impression
> is the most secured way of> operating bank account in this world of frauds.
> Therefore, I would> like to use the thum impression even though I do
> signature in general.> Can you please tell, what are the provision for those
> VI people who> wants to open bank account, but wants to use their thum
> impression for> further operations> Though I've read the circular and it
> states following in the context:> "Banks should not deny any services to
> visually impaired customers> including visually impaired customers who use
> their thumb impression> for operating the bank account."> However, in one of
> the lines in same circular, the following is written:> "Further, we have
> seen demonstration of finger print technology being> developed by software
> firm which would enable banks to store thumb> impression of visually
> impaired persons in place of signature in their> system. Cheques
> authenticated by them with thumb impression can be> scanned and the image
> compared with that stored in the system to honor> the cheque. It is
> suggested that when this technology is fully> developed and made available
> in the market, banks should consider> integrating it with their core banking
> platform so that cheque book> facility can be extended to a larger segment
> of visually impaired> persons"> now, the question is that what would be the
> provisions mean while the> technology develops completely?> Can a VI person
> who uses thum impression still issue checks?> If yes, then what would be the
> [...]

    • ... aisha sahani
      • ... Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged, St. Xavier's College
        • ... phani srikanth
          • ... fayaz pasha
            • ... smriti singh
              • ... Prashant Naik