Park for blind to come up in Chandigarh

Thaindian News
Chandigarh, Dec 28 (IANS) A park for the visually challenegd, which is
said to be the first such initiative of its kind in the country, is to
come up here, an official said Sunday.The foundation stone of this
park for the visually challeneged people was laid here in Sector 26
Sunday.

"This will be the India's first park meant for blind people. We will
name it 'Park for Blinds' or 'Sensory Park'. We have already made the
blueprint for the project and allocated the budget of Rs.1.2 million
for this venture," Pardeep Chabhra, mayor of Chandigarh, announced at
a press conference here Sunday.

If everything goes according to plan, this park will be completed in
the next two to three months, said Chabhra.

"We have acquired the vacant land adjoining the Institute for the
Blind in Sector 26, so that blind children can easily come to the
park. Moreover, there is no park in this area so other people can also
come here for morning or evening walk or for recreation activities,"
he said.

"Herbal plants that can be recognised easily through the sense of
smell or touch will be primarily grown in the park. Soothing music
will be played in the evening in the park to entertain the people
coming here," he said.

Chabhra, whose tenure as the mayor ends Dec 31, said that during 2008
development works amounting to Rs.2,400 million were initiated by the
civic corporation.

He said: "To keep an eye on anti-social elements and to minimise the
incidents of vehicle thefts, we are installing CCTV cameras in all the
parking lots in the city. The work will be completed by Dec 31."

Wishing all on Louis Braille Bi-centinal birthday, January 4!