All the points mentioned by Kanchan are well taken.

However:

1. This appears to be the case of doctor sitting in final judgment over what a
progressively blind person can and can not do in a bank, or what are the
capabilities of totally blind person...
2. This trend of doctors finally deciding about implications of a disability in
a given context is on the rise as is being witnessed in another railway case...

3. This results from a confusion between: being fit for a job and being
medically fit. Former point in relation to visually impaired is being  decided
periodically by exercise of job identification and whole recruitment process
takes place accordingly... The later point of medical fitness generally minus
visual impairment is what doctor is supposed to give her/his opinion on...

4. It is well established that once a person with disability is duly certified
as disabled by a competent medical board, the recruitment agencies are not to
have him/her re-examined for the same disability...

5.  regarding  this particular case, it is a well-known medical fact that all
RP cases are progressive and fluctuating in nature. So, the contention of SBI
falls flat and we should be able by all means to make them perceive reason...

6. In the current exercise also, they have appointed a number of persons with
RP, as well as totally blind persons all over the India, so the present
arbitrary discrimination is utterly uncalled for and we must bring this to
their notice without naming the present appointees...

7. Of course, the abilities and various works a blind person can do should
always be emphasized and capabilities continuously acquired....

8. Last but not least, the trend of increasing medicalization of implications
of disability in various contexts by unduly empowering doctors has to be
arrested at any cost...

Rajesh