Hello AccessIndian friends:
While Dipendra mentions about the story of Nupur Jain from India appearring in the February edition of DAISY Planet, he, perhaps out of all humility, fails to mention that his story too appears in the same edition. I've pasted it herein. It can be read at http://www.daisy.org/stories/dipendra.shtml Then beneath his story is one by Savita Singh. Indeed very inspirational! Keep it up!
Amarjit

Dipendra Manocha: DAISY for research in developing
Dipendra Manocha: DAISY for Research in developing countries
"...my story could happen to any student with blindness living in any developing country..."

By: Dipendra Manocha
Director of the Regional Resource Centre (New Delhi),
DAISY for All

A blind music student had to submit his research thesis to his tutor for correction. With a lot of work involving the revision of references still to be completed, the student was waiting for an appointed reader to help him with his duties. But the reader never showed up, as he found it more interesting to go to a movie with friends than to read to a person with blindness. The researcher had books in print in front of him but could not verify or access
their content and therefore missed the deadline for submission.

Dipendra Manocha
This true story changed the course of my life. I realized that my story could happen to any student with blindness living in any developing country since hardly any text books and reference books are accessible. Even basic assistive technology such as screen reading software is often not available in the local language. I knew there had to be a solution to make persons with blindness or low vision independent in reading and writing.

So, in 1993, I left my career in music in order to study and then teach and implement computer applications to contribute to the benefit of persons with blindness in India. Within a period of five years at the National Association for the Blind in New Delhi, we were able to establish that computer technology was not meant only for the wealthy, rather it was something that would ideally change the way each and every individual with a print disability could read and write, and maybe even enable them to get a job. However, there was still no solution for the lack of reading materials in local languages, and many
students were still without books in their schools and colleges.

In 1999, I was introduced to the world of digital books by Hiroshi Kawamura at a UNESCAP meeting in Bangkok. I immediately was drawn towards these feature-rich digital books as another revolution that was changing the way persons with print disability were enabled to read. However, at that time a digital talking book player cost US$ 500.00 which is beyond the reach of most individuals with a print disability in any developing country. In these countries, the work of content creation is often done by small organizations and they mostly lack human and financial resources to be able to adopt this technology. To bring developing countries into the fold of the DAISY revolution, the technology itself had to remain the same but the way of implementation had to change to
meet their needs.

The DAISY for All project started in 2003 under the leadership of Hiroshi Kawamura and I had the opportunity to work for it as an Assistant Project Manager. The focus was on digital technology offering flexibility and providing opportunities to everyone to make use of it. If low income groups could not afford DAISY players, they could use main stream MP3 players to listen to the same DAISY digital talking books with the compromise that many features of navigation are lost. Usually conversion of analog cassette recordings to digital format is done at fast speed using expensive equipment. To suit the needs of small organizations in developing countries, we were able to develop and use a solution at a fraction of that amount involving adapted cassette players and innovative schemes. Large numbers of end users themselves were engaged in this analog to digital conversion process in India and Thailand. This not only made the process low cost but also brought a means of income to youth with blindness or low vision.

Now working as the Director of the Regional Resource Centre for the DAISY for All project in New Delhi, my every moment is involved in ideas and related
projects such as:

list of 5 items
Development of screen reading software for Indian languages
Content creation in local languages
Introduction of the technology in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Nepal as well as India. There are not only 22 languages but also a vast geographical
and cultural diversity to deal with
Research for affordable DAISY playback through subsidy schemes and development of a low cost player Creation of networking and common catalog systems among innumerable small organizations who want to be a part of this digital revolution
list end

My story has a happy ending...

The path of becoming a part of solution to overcome the frustration caused by dependence on others for reading and writing has been full of satisfaction
and joy!

Dipendra is now a valuable and dedicated staff member of DAISY For All. He lives in New Delhi and coordinates local DAISY efforts. Dipendra also actively participates in global conference calls regarding development and communication of DAISY technical projects.

We encourage other DAISY users to submit their story and get further involved.

list of 5 items
Home |
Accessibility |
Legal Policies |
Site Map |
Contact Us
list end

© 2009 DAISY Consortium. All Rights Reserved.

Valid XHTML 1.0!
Valid CSS!

Search powered by

http://www.daisy.org/stories/savitasingh.shtml

Savita Singh

Savita Singh: "I have cherished a dream of associating with a library where all the books are available in an accessible format for persons with a print
disability."

Savita Singh
Savita is young woman from Muradnagar, India. In April of this year she passed the National Eligibility Test and is looking forward to working as a lecturer
in a college. Savita has been using DAISY books for the last five years.

My name is Savita Singh, and I am presently pursuing a Master of Philosophy Degree in International Politics, Organisation, Disarmament, Political Geography & Diplomatic Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi India. In 2006 I graduated from St. Stephen's College Delhi University with honors; my degree is in history. From the beginning my schooling has been possible with support from the National Association for the Blind (NAB) in New Delhi. NAB means a great deal to me, it is like a "second home". As far as I can remember the story of my life begins from the threshold of this unique institution.

When I was four I lost my eyesight completely due to small pox. A person in the Modi Nagar Eye Hospital told my parents to take me to National Association for the Blind. His suggestion and my parents' determination altered the journey of my life. I don't feel that blindness was a turning point in my life but my admission to NAB most definitely was. My parents were a bit apprehensive the first time they left me there, but very soon they could feel that it
was a perfect place for their naughty, creative, ambitious daughter.

NAB Preparatory School
There were opportunities at NAB to reveal different dimensions of my personality. I learned braille and clay modeling. I acted in the plays, composed and recited poetry, and took part in debates. I was given the responsibility of Head Girl, and also went on school trips. The devoted teachers and the wonderful
Director, Mrs. Anuradha Mohit, were the true strength of the Institute.

When I entered college life I realized that it was a beautiful world full of new experiences. The only problem I found was that nobody knew that the capabilities, talents and energetic spirit of persons with a disability were just like those of anyone else. It was a time to test all the skills I was taught in school to prove that a visually challenged person also belongs in mainstream society and that to segregate him or her is unfair and discriminatory.

University Of Delhi
The inaccessibility of the books in the huge library often disappointed me. The mere thought of the library used to make me feel gloomy; surrounded by shelves of books made me feel dizzy as I could get hold of only dust. Finding a book was not a problem, my friends used to help me in searching books, but reading them was the difficulty. How much one can depend on a reader? There are limits to what one can request and what one can expect. Then the Social Service League of my College bought JAWS Screen Reading Software for students who were visually challenged. It was the first College of Delhi University to get such technology for visually challenged students in the library. It made it possible for me to write my assignments with the help of a computer.

Savita reading a DAISY book
However, accessing information in print books still remained a big obstacle. When I learned about DAISY "Digital Accessible Information SYstem" it made an incredible difference. This amazing technology has the potential to bring about a revolutionary change in the life of persons with a print disability. It improved my over all performance, increasing it from 53% to 63%; a difference of 10% was huge for me. Problems accessing books not only adversely impact academic performance, I feel that this also impacts other dimensions of one's personality so much so that many people suffer from depression or adopt an extremely pessimistic attitude towards life. Some students even curse and blame their blindness for making them dependent on readers and scribes, and in
some cases they neglect other things they cannot do without help.

After graduation I was keen to join one of the leading Institutions of the country. I studied with the help of DAISY talking books to prepare for my JNU entrance exam in International Relations. I was able to successfully get through the written exam for my master's degree. Since then I have been using DAISY books regularly for my master's degree studies. For a research scholar this technology has proved to be major boon. It enables one to study according to his/her individual requirements and time. Apart from everything else this much independence boosts self-confidence, which is indeed the first step to
achieve any goal in the world.

Savita Singh
Now I am able to read novels whenever I feel like doing so. The entire Harry Potter series, consisting of seven volumes, I finished reading in only 18 days, thanks to DAISY books. I just hope every person who needs these books can access them so that no one remains in the darkness of unawareness, when there
are numerous sources available to spread the light of knowledge.

I have cherished a dream of associating with a library where all the books are available in an accessible format for persons with a print disability.

In India, there is a lack of books in braille for college level studies. College students require many books and organisations have found it very costly and time consuming to convert them into braille. Since the introduction of DAISY in India, several organisations have taken up the task of converting books for higher education into DAISY DTBs. This has helped many students pursue and excel in different courses. Ms. Savita's story is just one example.

list of 5 items
Home |
Accessibility |
Legal Policies |